Posted By: davidcpa My tongue's SPLIT - 03-02-2009 02:35 PM
I woke up yesterday with a sore tongue (tip) and it was sensitive to eating or drinking. This am I still had the same feeling so I looked at it and I see a 1/4 inch split right down the center close to the tip. Now I googled "split in tongue" and I was directed to some medieval ritual which doesn't apply and also to Dry mouth which is obvious but since I've had DM for 2 years now and it's better now than before I'm curious if anyone else has encountered this. I know some of you wish you had my problem and I feel for you but if anyone has had this before I'd like to hear what you were told.
Posted By: Cookey Re: My tongue's SPLIT - 03-02-2009 04:54 PM
My basic understanding David is that this could be caused by a)thrush b)vitamin deficiency c)lack of fresh friut and veg,and of course the obvious one.....telling fibs!!
whatever it must be very uncomfortablle.Hope it gets better soon.

love liz
Posted By: Pandora99 Re: My tongue's SPLIT - 03-02-2009 04:57 PM
I have not heard of it before, and it sounds painful. Have you eaten pineapple or other fibrous material which could actually cut the tongue? Give it a couple of days and if it isn't better I'd be getting it checked. Keep us posted.

Donna
Posted By: Good1 Re: My tongue's SPLIT - 03-02-2009 05:11 PM
David,

Why not give the dentist a call today and have him take a look at it?? Please.

Patty
Posted By: Malka Re: My tongue's SPLIT - 03-02-2009 08:32 PM
David - I certainly wouldn't want my CPA to respond to any IRS questions with a forked tongue - leave that to the politicians who also so adept at speaking from both sides of the mouth at once. Please post that you have made an appointment to check it out ASAP.
Posted By: JeffL Re: My tongue's SPLIT - 03-02-2009 09:14 PM
David -- I had that early on after treatment, and was told it was due to thrush, and exacerbated by dry mouth and the radiation.

Here is a tip -- do not Google "split tongue" -- this is apparently becoming something of a fad among the piercing crowd. Disturbing . . .

Let us know what you find out!

Posted By: davidcpa Re: My tongue's SPLIT - 03-02-2009 10:41 PM
Jeff, No I Googled "split in tongue" not split tongue.

Malka, Cute!!

Liz and Patty, I have a client who is my dentist so I saw him at 2:30 and we spent 15 mins talking about my wife who he also treats. I finally had to say "what about meeeee". Anyway he looked in my mouth and said he thinks (comforting) that I have a yeast infection and told me to eat the cultured yogurt stuff and gave me a prescription for Diflucan. I then said "what about my split tongue?" and he said probably due to the swelling of my tongue and I said "what swelling?" and he said the swelling caused by the infection. I gave up and started talking about my wife again.

I already ate some strawberry yogurt (yum) and will P/U my prescription after 6 tonight. I hope my tongue grows back together at least for my clients' sake.

Posted By: EzJim Re: My tongue's SPLIT - 03-03-2009 01:40 AM
David, my tongue has been split since right after the 3rd piece of mt tongue was taken in Jan of 2007 and those implants didn't help it either. Thrush is what I was told maybe and to brush until it hurts, which I do. I hope yours doesn't go on for this length of time old Buddy. It gets ridiculous with the pain it brings with it. My tongue muscle is very visible and the split is directly in front of it.
Posted By: Good1 Re: My tongue's SPLIT - 03-03-2009 02:21 AM
David,

Thank you for having your tongue looked at. When I first noticed my cancer it was a split place on the underside of my tongue. I only wish that I had gone that day to have it looked at instead of almost 3 months later.

I hope that the yogurt and antibiotics help it heal and that it grows back together.

Patty
Posted By: mhupe Re: My tongue's SPLIT - 03-03-2009 02:41 AM
How deep is the split, David? I mentioned this to Dan and he says he gets this on and off...I had no idea. But, he said it was more like a cut than a split. So not really a forked tongue like the one people are referencing above. :-)

He said that it comes and goes and he hasn't had it for a while. Am wondering if he should go to the dentist next time.

Be curious to learn more! Dan went to the dentist today for a regular check up and out of the blue the dentist gave him a book to read about the relationship between calcium and cancer. We haven't read it yet, so we don't know what it is about. Anyone ever heard of it?

Details, David...I need details. I always track your progress because Dan seemed to follow in your footprints on the recovery side. Except it took him a heck of a lot longer to get his endurance back. And, he can't bike 120 miles a week here because there's just way too much snow. But, he's been skiing a lot. :-)

M-
Posted By: Cookey Re: My tongue's SPLIT - 03-03-2009 06:12 AM
Jeff i got sucked into reading about these morons who are actually having their tongues cut in half and left to heal in two pieces.How perverted is that?I am deeply traumatised!!!

David i am glad it is just and infection.Thrush is pain in the arse,but i think it responds quite quickly to treatment.

take care
liz
Posted By: davidcpa Re: My tongue's SPLIT - 03-03-2009 12:09 PM
Well I can't ski (snow type) here ever so tell Dan we're even.

My "split" has now grown to something like the Grand Canyon. It's now almost from the tip of my tongue back at least an inch or so. It's not that painful but the white stuff is but I did start on the Diflucan last night and I'm eating my yogurt so we'll see. I am just amazed how quickly things can go from "normal" to unpleasant. I guess we just don't have much in the way of tolerances post Tx.

I think our "2 week" rule should only apply to people that have not had our cancer. As for the rest of us I agree with Patty. We need to get it looked at ASAP.

One thing I learned quickly last night is eating a fresh orange with a sensitive split tongue with Thrush don't go together. Ouch that stung. I would eat a bit and then dip my tongue in cold water and then eat some more. Think I'll pass on my orange for a few days.
Posted By: EzJim Re: My tongue's SPLIT - 03-03-2009 12:45 PM
David, I'm sure you will learn promptly that a lot of fruits have acid in them. Bananas, Oranges & their cousin grapefruits, Apples plus a couple more and most of the fruit and veggie juices. Good luck with that tongue today.
Posted By: mhupe Re: My tongue's SPLIT - 03-03-2009 12:55 PM
Sounds unpleasant, I hope it heals quickly David. I don't think Dan's ever got that uncomfortable. During treatment he got thrush regularly and that was terrible.

Not sure what Dan's current his tongue issue is...will be sure to get it checked out next time it occurs. But, it sounds much less severe than what you are dealing with.

I think it's all that warm weather you have to contend with. :-)
Posted By: Stoj Re: My tongue's SPLIT - 03-03-2009 04:49 PM
David,

Sorry to hear of your split tongue woes. I have seen pics of youngsters in the Air Force who had this done (against appearnce regulation), looked pretty gross. I hope you start healing soon. Must be tough to talk and eat soup ;-)

Keep us posted, you know you are my barometer.

Tim
Posted By: darkeyedlady0 Re: My tongue's SPLIT - 03-03-2009 04:54 PM
I have never heard of a split tongue happening except in old proverbs ...whiteman speaks with forked tongue..

Although as a child I split my tongue riding a skateboard and it hurt like heck!!! Guess I learned a valuable lesson that day...don't talk and ride...But it was milk shakes, ice cream popsicles, and pudding for a while...

Hope you are feeling better Dave
Posted By: ChristineB Re: My tongue's SPLIT - 03-03-2009 06:36 PM
Sorry to hear you have thrush. It can hurt like heck and come on so fast. I felt dry mouth and a tingle and within 2 hours my whole mouth was covered with it. The meds ususally clear it up quickly. Hope you feel better soon.
Posted By: Good1 Re: My tongue's SPLIT - 03-03-2009 08:35 PM
[quote=Cookey]Jeff i got sucked into reading about these morons who are actually having their tongues cut in half and left to heal in two pieces.How perverted is that? [/quote]

Liz

I wish that there was a way that some of us could have their (sterilized of course) tongues and they could have our flaps instead if they want to do this. The dumbies.

Patty
Posted By: Cookey Re: My tongue's SPLIT - 03-03-2009 09:44 PM
Its just about the sickest thing i have ever seen Patty,what the hell goes through the mind of a moron who goes and asks someone to cut their tongue in half?

David have they given you nystatin?
Posted By: davidcpa Re: My tongue's SPLIT - 03-03-2009 10:35 PM
OK, perhaps I have mislead you all. My tongue is not like split into a snake tongue but visualize if you would flying over the Grand Canyon from 30,000 feet and looking down you would see flat land (my tongue) surrounding a deep trench (what I call my split) running through the middle.

Good news, after 2 doses of the Diflucan and 2 cups of the active yogurt it already feels better so lets hope that's the end of it. Still wonder why or what I may have done to encourage it's growth but I'm glad it's reacting so quickly to the meds.

What's the nystatin for?

Posted By: Cookey Re: My tongue's SPLIT - 03-04-2009 04:54 AM
Hi david
you didn't mislead me i just came across these other idiots while reading about splits in the tongue ,i realise yours is not literally split lol.I have split my tongue sucking boiled lemon sherbert sweets and it hurt like hell for a few days.Nystatin is a liquid you apply by dropper to yeast and thrush infections in the mouth.

glad its getting better.
liz
Posted By: Pandora99 Re: My tongue's SPLIT - 03-04-2009 05:20 AM
Get your butt to the doctor! Or are they all out sun tanning? Guess there are advantages to cold weather - our doctors are available in their warm offices smile

Donna

By the way, laughed like crazy at your description of trying to eat your orange - i.e. orange (pain), water, orange (pain). Definitely you should not be allowed around sharp instruments as you appear to be dangerous to yourself!
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: My tongue's SPLIT - 03-04-2009 05:20 AM
David
interesting facts: nystatin was isolated from Streptomyces noursei in 1950 by Elizabeth Lee Hazen and Rachel Fuller Brown, who were doing research for the Division of Laboratories and Research of the New York State Department of Health. The soil sample where they discovered nystatin was from the garden of Hazen's friends called Nourses, therefore the strain was called noursei. Hazen and Brown named nystatin after the New York State Public Health Department in 1954.
GET WELL SOON

Posted By: suzanne98 Re: My tongue's SPLIT - 03-04-2009 10:52 AM
Hi David,

I'm happy to hear the yogurt and meds are helping. You mentioned a yeast infection, hence the yogurt. Do they think that is the cause of this "split tongue" you are experiencing? Sorry, maybe I missed something. Good luck with your clients...I hope you don't scare them too much!!!
Posted By: davidcpa Re: My tongue's SPLIT - 03-04-2009 01:02 PM
Suz,

My dentist seem to pass over the split tongue issue opting to focus on my white tongue and cheeks. He kept going further down my throat with the wooden paddle each time saying "a little bit further, now say Awww". I know he saw my stomach. When I tried to bring him back to the purpose of my visit he said "Oh that's common, I've seen worse. It's probably due to the swelling." Then I said, well when the swelling goes down will my tongue come back together and he said "maybe". Now that a lot of the pain and sensitivity has gone away, the split wasn't the problem, it was this Thrush which I just didn't recognize until my tongue split and I associated my pain with that.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: My tongue's SPLIT - 03-04-2009 01:04 PM
Thanks for the tips on dirt drug. I think I know way to much about it now.
Posted By: Markus Re: My tongue's SPLIT - 03-04-2009 02:55 PM
David the origin of drugs and how they were detected is fascinating.
Take cisplatin, that was totally accidental. It was found that bacteria were killed near platin electrodes. This was followed up and the rest is history. Or take saccharin, the chemist was working on tar products! He did not look for sweeteners and must have ingested some by accident (it is about 300 times more sweet than sugar) so it did not take much.

M

Posted By: davidcpa Re: My tongue's SPLIT - 03-04-2009 10:52 PM
OK now we're getting WAY off the topic here which is ME ME ME. lol
Posted By: Eileen Re: My tongue's SPLIT - 03-04-2009 10:52 PM
David,
I was told the crevises in the tongue usually developed when you are low on vitamin B. Try a vitamin B50 complex. It also helps strnegthen your nails. I took it for years until I developed an intolerance of all vitamins and supplements.

Take care,
Eileen
Posted By: davidcpa Re: My tongue's SPLIT - 03-04-2009 10:54 PM
I took it for years until I developed an intolerance of all vitamins and supplements.

Sooo I'm supposed to be enthusiastic about taking these vits?
Posted By: Eileen Re: My tongue's SPLIT - 03-05-2009 06:14 PM
Nooooo. But just because I developed an intolerance doesn't mean you will. It did solve the fissures in my tongue, but I also have not developed new fissures since stopping them a year ago. Ask your dentist about it.

Take care,
Eileen
Posted By: davidcpa Re: My tongue's SPLIT - 03-05-2009 11:48 PM
OK
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum