Posted By: girlcat36 PEG tube healing after removal - 07-04-2007 07:02 PM
There is VERY little info regarding PEG removal and subsequent healing of the site on the internet. I just had mine removed a few days ago--and oh boy, that hurt! I can't believe they really do just yank it out! How long before it is safe to swim or take a bath? What did you put on it to help it to heal? (aloe, ointments, vitamin E, etc.) Did it heal up like a belly button? Anyway to avoid that? My doctor said I could come back for a surgery to make it look more like a vertical line? Did anyone have that surgery? Thanks for your replies!
Posted By: Joanna Re: PEG tube healing after removal - 07-04-2007 09:25 PM
You are so correct that the yank hurts, but only for a short period of time. I looked at it as a chance to holler at full volume in a public place (grin). I just wore a bandaid and kept the hole clean. It healed quite quickly. Yes, there is a slight depression, but as my bikni wearing days are behind me, I did not consider any surgery. If you have the revision surgery, please post so people will know how it goes. I showered with the bandaid on, but did not submerge, as in swim, until it was clearly healed. Be happy that the worst is over. Probably nothing will ever hurt like that again!
Posted By: Kevin - Memphis Re: PEG tube healing after removal - 07-05-2007 09:54 AM
Didn't hurt as bad as when the thing went Abscess, but still wowsa, what a yank.

I too showered with the bandage on and now that it has healed, I have been in the pool, no problems. Mine has been out since April 13, this year.

Kevin
Posted By: DM32ASA Re: PEG tube healing after removal - 07-05-2007 07:38 PM
Yes one yank! ouch! Hope they come up with something better to remove.

I had my peg removed 9 months after treatment and it took a while to heal. Kept covered,dry & clean took about 6 weeks. Remember it is going to heal from inside to out. Now it just looks like a 2 belly button.

Like Joanna I am way past the bare tummy stage. Ha ha!! All the scares I have are my ribbons of life. Ha ha.

Take care...
Diane
Posted By: girlcat36 Re: PEG tube healing after removal - 07-09-2007 10:05 PM
thanks for all your replies. I still wanted to wear a bikini so I decided I would get BOTH belly buttons pierced and flaunt them. okay....that's a joke.
Posted By: Kevin - Memphis Re: PEG tube healing after removal - 07-10-2007 02:27 PM
badges of honor ??

<<grin>>

</humor>
Posted By: larryfb Re: PEG tube healing after removal - 07-10-2007 09:38 PM
because my tube was in for about 1 yr, the skin had grown around it such that when the peg was pulled, the healing left me with the look of a second belly button.

i talked to my dermatologist who said that a bit of plastic surgery could make it almost disappear. i'd left it as it was.

however, i think the plastic surgery route is a good one to consider.

cu,
larryb
Posted By: William Dozier Re: PEG tube healing after removal - 07-12-2007 05:26 PM
That quick yank is one to remember! I was told not to submerge the area for about 72 hours but that it was OK to shower immediately.

The issue that freaked me out was that the site began leaking on my way home even though the nurse had bandaged and taped the site with heavy gauze. No one told me not to drink carbonated soft drinks for 2 or 3 days and it seems that is what caused my problem while stopping for lunch on my way home from the hospital. Even so, the thing still leaked for a week to 10 days total and the wife and I stayed freaked even though the nurse we called at RO's office said not to worry. Right! Easy for her to say and she was not leaking her stomach contents into her pants! It did eventually heal and now, 11 months later, looks like a mini-navel just above and to my left of the real navel.

Bill D.
Posted By: girlcat36 Re: PEG tube healing after removal - 07-12-2007 06:30 PM
There seems to not be enough info given out after the big yank( and also before, in my case). The doctor that gave me the yank was very blase about it. When my oncology nurse called yesterday she was quite surprised that 1) the doctor didn't even give me lidocaine, and 2) I didn't receive any paperwork for after care. Who knew you were not supposed to drink carbonated drinks after? My PEG was placed and removed at a different hospital than I was receiving treatment at. I feel like my PEG issues got the short shrift. I am in a study group of patients so the study nurse was going to make a note of lack of attention to PEG issues in her report.
Posted By: Markus Re: PEG tube healing after removal - 07-12-2007 09:08 PM
I still have my PEG tube so I cannot comment about the removal.
I did have however issues right after it was placed. Basically, I felt like a butterfly with a stake through the chest. When I complained I was told that it was just in my head!? This did not sit to well with me. Back in Hospital when I was getting the port installed I talked with another gastroenterologists who happened to walk by. ... Oh you just loosen it up a bit.... Since then no problem at all!

Markus
Posted By: girlcat36 Re: PEG tube healing after removal - 07-12-2007 09:26 PM
For me, the PEG tube was the hardest part of my treatment.The only time I had to take narcotics was the week after the tube was placed. I complained somewhat about it, bacause it did hurt alot. They loosened it after a week, but I always had some degree of discomfort. It also caused acid reflux and loss of appetite. I was determined to get that thing yanked as soon as possible. When I went for a check up two weeks post-treatment I even considered putting fishing weights in my pocket to appear as if I had gained weight and so they would remove the tube. In the end I did not use the fishing weights but I did get weighed with my cowboy boots ON! LOL
Posted By: Pete D Re: PEG tube healing after removal - 07-15-2007 03:32 PM
Hmm, my "yank" hurt only about as much as removing a bandaid from a hairy leg, bled a small amount and healed quickly. I wasn't warned about carbonated drinks, but I didn't drink any; even if I'd had the urge, I was aware there was a hole healing in my stomach, so likely I wouldn't have, but you never know.

I now have the second belly button (both Innies) and also regard it as a badge of honor of sorts.

Towards the end of my use of it, I realized I could push it in or pull it out a little for better flow through it (There's a stopper on the end of it so it won't fall out; the stopper is obviously effective, because when he yanked on the tube, the grommet came out with the tube because the stopper was there.
Posted By: girlcat36 Re: PEG tube healing after removal - 07-20-2007 12:41 PM
I am putting Mederma on my "dimple". We'll see what happens.
Posted By: Steve J. Re: PEG tube healing after removal - 07-20-2007 10:20 PM
I had mine taken out in November. Felt like they were ripping my insides out with it!! I have a significant little scar there (my kids call it my second belly button). But my doc just had me keep it clean and covered. I didn't have any problems with infection or anything. In fact I traveled internationally three days after having it removed and had no trouble....

best of luck
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum