Posted By: Murphy Gum Problems - 11-26-2017 07:49 PM
Murphy here,

Hope everybody had good Thanksgiving though some of us could not eat turkey and fixins such as me. It has been over a year since my teeth were extracted and last Spring since my last rad treatment. I have been going to a professional denture Dr. to help me with getting dentures dealing with post radiation and a tori on the bottom which makes it difficult to make lower plate. It is quite expensive especially when the denture Dr. is out of network and doesn't accept ins. but I can't find out any body else to do it with the tori. The tori was supposed to be taken out with the teeth extractions but he couldn't due to complications. I had the tori scheduled to be taken out 2 weeks after the extractions but the radioncologist was in a big hurry to start rad treatments and he had the tori removal cancelled. While making the lower plate and trying to get my bite correct the process has pulled some gum away from the lower jaw bone in one place on the right side. It hurts, feels like there is bone exposed and is also irritating the same side of my tongue where I had surgery for the tongue cancer. It feels the same way it did before when I had sore on my tongue before surgery. It is taking a long time to heal though the denture Dr. told me to rinse with salt water 3 or 4 times a day. I don't know what to do to make it heal faster. He will have the upper plate done soon but will take longer for the lower plate, says I might be finished by Christmas. I don't think I will be able to use lower plate if the lower jaw is constantly being irritated by the lower plate. After the teeth extraction I had little bone exposed on the lower left side and was irritating the other side of my tongue but eventually the gum grew over the bone and it healed and tongue irritation stopped. Has anybody else run into any similar problems?
Posted By: Murphy Re: Gum Problems - 12-05-2017 06:44 PM
For anybody having problems similar to mine I have found out that my local dentist could take care of it. He looked at my lower jaw yesterday and saw that bone was protruding through the gum and irritating the side of the tongue. It was getting quite painful and felt bad (gritty) when I rubbed the tip of my tongue over the spot. He read some literature on radiation and the gums and told me that he would take a small grinder and grind away the protruding bone, No novacaine needed because there are no nerves in the bone. A big relief, my tongue thanked him as soon as he was finished, now I just have to wait for the gum to heal and grow over the spot which feels 100% better.

Murphy...
Posted By: gmcraft Re: Gum Problems - 12-05-2017 11:52 PM
That’s a simple and quick solution. Good for you, Murphy. I’m sure your tongue is celebrating.
Posted By: Stef H Re: Gum Problems - 12-22-2017 05:08 PM
Having similar. Will ask my dentist about it, thank you!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum