Posted By: Alpaca Lymphedema - 02-20-2017 08:41 PM
Hello. I haven't been on this wonderful site for a while because I've been mixing with oral cancer patients in my area. I know, however, that you have a huge pool of people and lots of acquired knowledge.

My question is about massage and other treatments for lymphedema. My own post-surgery and post-rad swelling went down quite fast but other patients who had similar but probably more radical treatments are suffering. What is the story about massage spreading cancer cells if we can't be sure they have all been eliminated? My own ENT mentioned this but then said, "You've had the treatment, so it will be okay."

I believe there are other treatments like taping and physical therapy.

Would love to hear your thoughts, experiences and knowledge about this.
Posted By: gmcraft Re: Lymphedema - 02-21-2017 02:47 PM
I believe the massage drains the lymphatic fluid from the neck down into the rest of the body. If the cancer cells have not been definitively eliminated from the head and neck area, then they have a chance of moving with the lymph fluid into other parts of the body, hence the warning. John tried it once; while it worked, the relief was only temporary. That was after he got an NED but his cancer had probably metastasized by that point.

It's a sticking point for me because it makes me feel bad about that ONE massage he gave himself.
Posted By: EMTK3 Re: Lymphedema - 02-25-2017 04:01 AM
I started having lymphedema about 2 to 3 months after the end of my treatments. I was told it was a chronic condition and my doctor wrote a script for therapy. The therapist taught me how to perform the massages myself. I can't imagine there would be any danger associated with it or else they wouldn't do it. The therapy is part of my cancer center and they treat a ton of cancer patients, mostly breast cancer but a lot of head and neck patients too.

If I slack off the massages for a day or two swelling gets pretty bad and the fluid starts to harden. I was told this could lead to complications. I am not a doctor but I would think that if you have active cancer cells in your body they are going to grow whether or not you move them around physically.

In any event you should bring it up with your doctor.
Posted By: Alpaca Re: Lymphedema - 02-25-2017 06:37 AM
Thank you very much for the replies. Sounds as if a person needs to check with the doctor but that serious lymphedema is a problem that needs to be dealt with.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum