I can only reach my front teeth now. I used to love sticking out my tongue at my husband when he was being goofy. I can't lick my lips or an ice cream cone.

I had 1/2 of my oral tongue removed and my surgeon said that it was a matter of no strength on the part that was removed - it's skin from my wrist now - but I can't even wave with it. Hahaha...

It's not tethered, but there is a big lump of skin under my tongue that I can't stretch out. It pulls, and my tongue just goes sideways.

What is your experience?
Unfortunately I am in the same exact boat! the speech pathologist told me to get some gauze and pull on it a few times a day to stretch it. It seemed to help a bit, but it would only be able to stick out a tiny bit further temporarily, and the next day it would seem to shrink back. I stopped doing it because it was starting to irritate my tongue, but I might try again. My real tongue will stretch, its the flap that has no give.
Hi, maybe I had less removed but it has to be close to a half. I can stick my tongue out. Probably not as far as I used to, but I can - I can lick a cone and wet my lips - the tongue pulling to the side is normal and typical of this type of surgery (go figure) try to strengthen your real tongue by doing the exercises. This may help, and the surgeon may be able to adjust the tightened skin.
My tongue can make it all the way to my lower teeth - which is where it rests anyway!

Lots of things I miss, but I am still here. I am very excited that now neither stamps or envelopes require licking wink

Donna
My tongue was 1/2 gone and I can stick it out almost all the way. I stick it out whenever someone wants to see it!
I am jealous of you Tina! I guess it just depends on exactly what was taken. I know they took a small part of my base, extending to half of my oral tongue, so I think the combined effect of that has hindered my ability to stick it out, I guess? I would say that maybe the surgeon didn't make my flap big enough, but I don't think that is the case, because it mirrors my real tongue perfectly. I think the flap tissue just doesn't stretch.

I think my inability to stick out my tongue is the main reason why my speech sounds the way it does. It is very hard to make the "l" and "th" sound when your tongue can't go past your teeth. I subconsciously tend to jut my bottom jaw forward to try and compensate, but I don't think it is good for my jaw. Do you have the same issues Shauneen and Donna?

As long as this darn cancer doesn't come back though, I can live with my limitations! I can still eat pretty well, which is way more important smile
I could not stick my tongue past my lips at first but after a year of doing the stretching exercises I can stick it out about 3/4 of an inch and it is much stronger and more mobile overall.
Yeth Emily - but I have twouble with 'S' and 'R'.

And Tracy - good to hear that stretching can work. My surgeon said to give it another year and they can take another look at the scar tissue.

In the meantime, I will continue to yawn as wide as I can, and stick my tongue out at people.
Hi guys. Nice to see this question here. Well, I�ve seen a few cases like mine (i didn�t have the flap, i had primary closure).

Well, if i pot my tongue out it goes sideways too. I can�t pass it over my front teeth and this made me really really mad at the beggiing. My speech is good as my friends says, some of them that didn�t know I had cancer even tell me they don�t notice (wich o course i dont believe).

But well, I can lick my lips. Can move it 70-80% i guess.

Shauneen, you and I are twins! I keep saying I sound like Elmer Fudd with a lisp!

My swelling hasn't gone away so I'm hoping that will change...

Until then beware all wascally wabbits!
Brazil,

What is "primary closure" and how does it take the place of a flap being used?

Thanks
Hi nocam, primmary closure is to use my own tongue to fill the part that was taken off. It means that my surgeon attached the tip of my tongue to the missinv part, and then it looks like an S. I had to remove 30 x 20 mm of my tongue...
So nice to see you braziliangirl and tina!

I have followed all your posts. And tina - I laughed when I saw your original post about the wascally wabbit. I still remember the old parody by Robin Williams as Elmer Fudd singing the Bruce's
'Fire' :
"I'm dwiving in my caw, I tuwn on my wadio...."

Still makes me laugh, and that's a good thing these days smile
I aim to please and besides, us albertans have to stick together!

The other option was Eddie Murphy as buckwheat on SNL singing the classics..."wookin pa nub in all the Wong paces, wookin pa nub..."
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum