Posted By: ESikon Dizzy spells - 10-11-2012 06:39 PM
Recently I have been having some dizzy spells. Very apparent when I get up from a sitting or laying down position that I can't focus my eyes and feel like I will blackout. Last night I fell, I got up from sitting and began to walk (took 2-3 steps) and bam I hit the floor! I had to lay there for a few minutes so the room would stop spinning.

I use to have minor dizzy spells shortly after treatment and knew it was because I was dehydrated thus affecting my blood pressure. I hadn't suffer from dizziness for quite some time but recently had to change my thyroid dosage. I'm wondering if this is a contributing factor or if I should be concerned about something else.

I know I need to just go get checked and I will but wanted to see if anyone else has experienced these episodes?

Thanks!
Posted By: Maria Re: Dizzy spells - 10-11-2012 08:07 PM
My husband's bp is pretty low and he gets dizzy if he gets up too quickly. PLEASE be careful and no more falling over! Have you made your appointment to get checked out (that's the mom in me talking!).
Maria
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Dizzy spells - 10-11-2012 09:55 PM
I have just started having some dizzy moments when I turn my head certain ways and when I get out of bed and my PCP has done blood work, etc and has told me it's likely that some crystals (sounds like Star Wars stuff) have dislodged in my inner ear and I need to have them repositioned. He says it's quite common for OLD FARTS and there are some manipuative procedures that are very effective in repositioning them.
Posted By: debandbill Re: Dizzy spells - 10-12-2012 12:48 AM
Bill has the same issues with vertigo..blacking out...etc., but he is an Old Fart like David wink He has been seeing a balance expert and doing therapy to help with it. He says it has helped.

You are pretty young to be having this but with all your treatments/surgery, who knows. I would definitely be suspicious of any med change but you are on the mark with seeing your physician (I know..in your spare time.)

Sure hope you can get to the bottom of this...its scary to drive or go anywhere when you think you might pass out or fall at any time.

Deb
Posted By: ESikon Re: Dizzy spells - 10-12-2012 02:36 AM
I do have a perforated eardrum for the past 6 months, the only way to close it is through surgery and I opted out for now. One more surgery, no thanks!

This is the first time I've had dizzy spells since the perforation.

I'm ordered to call the dr tomorrow so hopefully I will find out what the culprit may be. I haven't had the spells when driving but my husband is worried that it could happen.
Posted By: Shauneen Re: Dizzy spells - 10-12-2012 07:12 AM
I haven't had dizzy spells or vision problems, but I didn't have chemo. I'm a year out from radiation.
In the last month:

Fell forward right onto my nose when trying to sit down on the couch with my hands full.
Took out a table after 2 steps trying to answer the phone when it awakened me from a nap.
Fell off the computer chair when the cat tried to bat my glasses off my face.
Took out another table and a chair getting up from the floor after working on my PC.

I had to laugh (so did my husband) but I'm going for a full physical next week!
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Dizzy spells - 10-12-2012 12:36 PM
Elizabeth, please get yourself checked out and let us know what the doc says. Hows your blood pressure? Mine still runs really low and I get dizzy from that sometimes. Have never fallen though.

Best wishes!
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Dizzy spells - 10-15-2012 02:08 PM
Ear issues can very much cause dizziness !!! Meneres disease is all about the inner ear, and causes supreme dizziness. I would have your carotid checked, and iron levels. smile hugs! (sorry on the ear drum thing that's gotta hurt! )
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum