Posted By: Caco freezer feet - 04-21-2012 02:03 PM
hey guys, questions about treatment and da feet?

cacopop's chemo trial is (likely) the cause of sudden cold feet, mostly at night. he gets lots of exercise, and it does not bother him then, but at rest he complains. they are warm to the touch.

i'm reading vitamins, exercise, and we're finding him a heated massager --an electric one ;o} ...any other advise?
Posted By: MikeM Re: freezer feet - 04-21-2012 06:38 PM
During the few day post-op stay in the hospital they used a leg compression device, ran on air pressure, pulsates 2 or 3 times a minute to keep blood flow and prevent blood clots. Ran all night (and day if you didn't get exercise) Was pretty easy to use. Might help the feet.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: freezer feet - 04-21-2012 09:41 PM
It could be a circulation issue. Your idea about a heated massager sounds like a good idea. Maybe having your dad do some short walks and not do prolonged periods of sitting or lying down so it will keep the circulation going.

Posted By: Marly Re: freezer feet - 04-23-2012 12:30 AM
It also sounds like it could be neuropathy which is nerve damage and makes your feet ice cold. When this happens I use heavy socks.
Posted By: Caco Re: freezer feet - 04-23-2012 01:34 PM
thx everyone. the massager helped a bit. and yes, likely neuropathy as he has no other issues (diabetes, heart etc).

Posted By: lam007 Re: freezer feet - 04-25-2012 06:37 AM
Just be REALLY careful about heat and feet with neuropathy. Don't want to have any sort of heat injury.
Posted By: Maria Re: freezer feet - 04-25-2012 05:28 PM
Make sure it's not thyroid problems from the previos rads contributing to the problem. What is your dad's TSH level?
Posted By: EricS Re: freezer feet - 04-25-2012 09:37 PM
Pain medications suppress the central nervous system, slowing the cardiovascular system affecting circulation and causing cold extremities. Makes sense that its not an issue when he's moving. Had the same issue myself. If his hands or feet turn blue and he's using fentanyl, get him to the ER as its a sign of an overdose. Almost lost me twice that way. Subsequently, if he's on the fentanyl patch make sure its in an area that he doesn't lay on or gets hot (shower etc) as they are body heat activated.

Eric
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum