Posted By: Scott69 Lyzine for pain? - 09-17-2011 03:48 AM
Has anyone ever heard of using Lyzine for tongue pain? Someone in our cancer support group said it works great.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Lyzine for pain? - 09-17-2011 04:12 PM
That is an amino acid. Sorry havent used it or heard of it. Before using anything like this check with your doc. Some of these home type remedies can interfere with treatments or recovery.

Please add a signature when you have a chance. A signature makes it easier to get to know you. It helps to answer your questions as we know your history and where you are right now. Click on 'My Stuff' then on 'Profile'. Scroll to the bottom and type your info in the white box, click submit.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Lyzine for pain? - 09-17-2011 06:14 PM
Christine is right - get a Drs approval before taking anything. Especially if you are going through treatment!!!! smile good luck!
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: Lyzine for pain? - 09-18-2011 02:08 PM
Lysine (it's spelled with an s not the phonetic z)is an amino acid that some studies show prevents the herpes virus from growing. [It's often sold as L-Lysine or amino acid K] It's usually used for cold sores. I have never heard of any pain reduction effects.
I started using it about thirty years ago on a doctor's recommendation and whether it was the placebo effect or not, my cold sores disappeared and stayed away.
Lysine also helps the body absorb calcium and decreases the amount of calcium that is lost in urine.
As Christine noted, you should check with your doctors. I quit taking Lysine during my TX. I take it now.
Perhaps your friends who mentioned it have confused it with
oral lysine acetylsalicylate which is a form of aspirin used to treat migraine pain or with Lysine clonixinate, a derivative of nicotinic acid also used to treat pain.
Keep the Faith
Charm
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Lyzine for pain? - 09-18-2011 03:41 PM
Charm - you're brilliant smile
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum