Posted By: Murphy I have been approved - 10-22-2017 09:58 PM
Thank you every body for helping me with the confidence to ask my Doctors about Social Security Disability, I filled out the paper work and have been approved. I am waiting for my first check due to come this month. SS told me that September would be my first month on disability and I would receive it on the 4th Wednesday in October. I went to a financial meeting the other night at my local cancer support group as there was a SS attorney there that made a 1/2 hour presentation with questions afterword. After his presentation he left, but from what I understand he said that after the age of 62 (I am 61) regular SS payments will take over where SS Disability payments were present. At the age of 62 that is considered early retirement which I think will be a decrease in the amount of the check. I worked in the work force for over 40 years and was going to wait to receive full retirement benefits at the age of 66 &3/4 until I got cancer. Is there any truth to this statement or did I misunderstand?
Posted By: ChristineB Re: I have been approved - 10-23-2017 01:30 AM
Congrats on getting approved for SSD!!! Im so glad you talked to your doctors and got them involved right from the start. That makes a huge difference. Im sorry but I do not know about SSD changing to regular SS at age 62, If you find out, please let us know. Im sure many here would be interested in the answer to that question and how it impacts medicare too.
Posted By: PaulB Re: I have been approved - 10-23-2017 05:28 PM
To my understanding, the only thing that changes when you reach retirement age is where your social security payments come from; Social Security instead of Social Security Disability, and no changes are made to the amount you currently receive as that was already calculated, and taken into consideration the shortened work time, and minus any increase for cost of living lol, and deductions for Medicare, if you do receive it.

You can call SS and ask. I have about 10 more years to reach retirement age.

Here is a link from SS regarding the issue:

https://www.disability-benefits-help.org/blog/disability-benefits-switch-retirement-65?page=5
Posted By: Nancy14 Re: I have been approved - 10-23-2017 11:55 PM
Congratulations on getting through the mess of Social Security/Disability (not that you want to be 'disabled'). My husband suffers from several issues (back, Parkinson's,...) and was approved for SSDI 5 year ago at age 62. Though his 'full' retirement age would have been 66.7, he received the equivalent of his full social security benefit - it was just paid through SSDI and not SSI. When he reached the 66.7 years, his file was switched from SSDI to SSI - same amounts, just different government accounting agencies. Certainly take the time to confirm your situation with SSA, but hopefully you will not see any decreases.

Nancy
Posted By: WendyinGa Re: I have been approved - 10-26-2017 04:54 AM
Congrats, i know it is a relief. When i was accepted, i could have cried. I didnt know what i would do, if i didnt get it.
Posted By: Murphy Re: I have been approved - 10-27-2017 08:17 PM
Thanks for the link PaulB and everybody else that responded, just received my first check on Oct. 25. You all are correct, what a relief! The last 35 rad treatments did something to physically and mentally, some days I take 2 or 3 naps and some days none but still feel tired and worn out. Couldn't work part time let alone full time if I wanted to. Was a master auto mechanic for about 40 years, I have had enough! My wife has been a great care giver but it has also been hard on her as well. We thought she had a ulcer from worrying so much but Dr. said irritated stomach after endoscopy, she is getting better.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum