Posted By: Elcid07 Has anyone else had this? - 01-03-2013 02:33 AM
Hi,

I have been using smokeless tobacco regularly for about 5 years, about 5 days ago I noticed a lump in my left cheek where it meets the jaw. The lump is about the size of small grape and I can move it around in my cheek. The lump does not hurt at all. I am very worried and was wondering if anyone has had the same symptom.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Has anyone else had this? - 01-03-2013 02:51 AM
Any sore that has been in your mouth for 2 weeks or longer should be checked by an ENT who specializes in oral cancer. Only a biopsy will be able to determine if this lump is cancerous.

Tobacco has many known cancer causing chemicals in it. This can irritate the user's delicate mouth tissue. Smokeless tobacco has fiberglass added. The fiberglass actually cuts into the users gums to help deliver the tobacco quicker into the bloodstream. Do yourself a huge favor and get rid of the tobacco habit. You dont want to be part of this forum especially when it could be prevented by choosing to avoid all tobacco products.

Hope its nothing serious!!!

Posted By: Uptown Re: Has anyone else had this? - 01-03-2013 02:58 AM
[quote=Elcid07]Hi,

I have been using smokeless tobacco regularly for about 5 years, about 5 days ago I noticed a lump in my left cheek where it meets the jaw. The lump is about the size of small grape and I can move it around in my cheek. The lump does not hurt at all. I am very worried and was wondering if anyone has had the same symptom. [/quote]

I, too, have the lump you speak of. Many doctors and dentists have insisted it is nothing and actually many people above 50 develop "soft tissue tumors" of the parotid glands that are completely benign. Also, "salivary stones" will do the same thing but usually cause the saliva that backs up to continually swell. Have it biopsied and you won't have to guess. Worrying about the million + "what-ifs" is much worse than knowing and focusing on one thing while you enjoy life is much easier on the mind, body and soul. Just my opinion.

Ed
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum