Posted By: davidcpa First Triathlon - 09-29-2012 01:38 PM
Just did my 1st Triathlon this am. I HATE running!!! So boring to me. People were passing me like I had a sprained ankle. So embarrassing, ugh. But I got a lot of them back in the bike portion where it was my turn to yell "on your left" as I passed them. To my surprise the swim turned out to be the most challenging of the 3, even turned over multiple times and did the backstroke finding that easier. Orientation and bumping into people stole a lot of needed energy. Anyway I finished it and now I can say I did one. Ironman....No way Jose!
Posted By: AnitaFrances Re: First Triathlon - 09-29-2012 02:06 PM
Congrats on completing the triathlon! I think everyone here would bestow the Ironman title on you for more reasons than this competition. Good for you that you are out there pushing yourself and living life!
Posted By: EricS Re: First Triathlon - 09-29-2012 02:26 PM
Way to Go David!! That's awesome brotha!
Posted By: Cheryld Re: First Triathlon - 09-29-2012 02:45 PM
Awesome!
Posted By: jayneday Re: First Triathlon - 09-29-2012 09:47 PM
Good for you David! It's so good to hear you are doing stuff like this smile
Posted By: tamvonk Re: First Triathlon - 09-29-2012 09:57 PM
Fantastic.
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: First Triathlon - 09-29-2012 11:28 PM
That is SO awesome, David! ! Congratulations! Now that you've done a Triathlon, what's next??? Are you going to DisneyWorld?
Posted By: ChristineB Re: First Triathlon - 09-29-2012 11:40 PM
WOW! Thats very impressive David!!! Good for you that you were able to finish. Congrats, you Ironman smile
Posted By: davidcpa Re: First Triathlon - 09-30-2012 01:19 PM
SOOO I went home yesterday and did my usual yard work, weeding, edging, trimming, cutting and blowing, etc still pumped from completing a Tri. Awoke this am in need of intense medical care! lol There are definately muscle groups that one does not use biking that one does need while running and swimming! Problem is the individual that came out of the water first is my employee. A 20 something little punk, very close to being fired IMO, who was working in the restaurant last night telling people he finished, went home, took a nap, took a shower, ate and came back just in time to see me finish. Not true but sounds funny but I can't let him see me cripled tomorrow at work so I've got to either miraculously get better or hide my pain. I'm 37 years older than him, which is longer than he's even been alive. You wait till tomorrow, I'll come up with some nasty project for him!
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: First Triathlon - 09-30-2012 10:41 PM
Just fake it, David! cool
Posted By: KP5 Re: First Triathlon - 09-30-2012 11:13 PM
Just stay upright long enough to get past him!! Good job old man!! ;o)
Kathy
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: First Triathlon - 10-01-2012 02:30 PM
David

Way to go. I remember my first (and last and only) triathlon. I was so sure that with my great marathon times and decent biking times that I could manage the open water swimming portion by training in the local swimming pool. Wrong! I go so disoriented as I was swam on top of by what must have been half human/half dolphin competitors that I missed the turn buoys and they sent a boat out after me to steer me back on course which put me way way behind. My poor wife was a nervous wreck as everyone else came out of the water and no sign of me. Finally, I staggered out, the third person from dead last in the swim.
Congratulations on finishing - very very impressive
Charm
Posted By: tristeve Re: First Triathlon - 10-01-2012 06:32 PM
Hi David,
I have been off the forum for a while and glad I checked back in. I was an Ironman before Cancer about 3.5 years ago. And it took a LONG time to get back into it!!

Very proud of you! I know you are a biker but now a swimmer and runner too! WAY TO GO

Steve
Posted By: davidcpa Re: First Triathlon - 10-01-2012 09:55 PM
Tristeve,

YOU ARE MY HERO!!!!!!!!!!!

I may be a tri biker but I am not a tri runner nor a tri swimmer. I don't have the time to dedicate myself to 3 disciplines. You people are animals!

Charm,

I'm with you on this first, last and only thing. Maybe when(if) I retire?
Posted By: Maria Re: First Triathlon - 10-01-2012 09:55 PM
DavidCPA - your accompliment is all the more impressive knowing about the flan recipe ....
Maria
Posted By: davidcpa Re: First Triathlon - 10-01-2012 09:57 PM
I make it; I teach classes on it; I love it but I rarely eat it.
Posted By: CubanKeith Re: First Triathlon - 10-01-2012 11:48 PM
It must feel good to take on new challanges, I like Tristeve was a triathlete a few years before HPV introduced cancer and the treatment as a new part time hobby. I have used my old training styles add a little each week stay focused folloe instructions and advice from others to complete this course the same as I did ontriathlon courses. 4 weeks since Chemo radiation finished each day is a step back to gaining 30 lbs I lost. Ten minutes on the bike has replaced 2 and a half hour bike rides, but the feeling on the ten minutes is great. Still on peg for every thing but I want to eat and food smells good again. In a week or so I get the standard removal of a few shruken lymph nodes. I have entered the "Slateman" and olympic distance tri in the rural Welsh Valleys easter 2013. So happy to be progressing to eating Cristmas dinner with a knife and fork.
All my triathlons including the 1/2 ironman world championship in Clearwater 2007 were a walk in the park compared to Chemo and Chemo radiation concurrent, please a meddle for everyone who has wnet through this treatment. And a thank you for this site to all the regular supporters for keeping me informed and positive all the way.
Cubankeith in a cold dark London.
Oh! PS any body know who won the Ryder Cub over there in Cowboy Country???
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum