Posted By: Charm2017 Out of juice - 07-04-2012 07:02 PM
Just a quick note to all my OCF friends that as a result of a derrecho here in alexandria va my entire cul de sac has been without electricity since Friday night June 29th. So no Internet no email no TV no OCF forum and zero air conditioning. With temperatures between 98 and100 each of the 5 full days without juice, my neighborhood is literally steaming since the majority of ou city got power back Monday or yesterday. Worse the usual free wi fi spots were also out of business or else so overloaded by frantic young people who had never bee offline so long that my tired old laptop could not compete with their iPhones and iPads plus nowhere near enough outlets to plug into with surprisingly polite lines to plug and recharge
Apparently they are all at the Mall today in DC to see the fireworks so I was able to snag an outlet at Barnes and Noble.
happy 4th to you all. Dominion Power says our cul de sac.is a low priority and estimated service restoration date is Saturday or Sunday only 8 or 9 days without electric
Lucky for me I grew up with no air conditioning or Internet so I tell myself I feel like a kid again. So it may be awhile before I post or read the OCF forum. I know all too well that this is great news for some but "I'll be back" so no woo woo postings please
Charm
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Out of juice - 07-04-2012 07:14 PM
Thanks for checking in Charm! I was beginning to wonder where you had been. Glad you and Bev are ok. Please be very careful in the heat wave and no AC!!!! Push extra water down that little Mickey!!!

Last year I ended up with 3 power outages. Each one was progressively worse than the one before. Last one was no power, gas, grocery stores, wi-fi within miles of my home. Luckily it was cold but not that bad that I couldnt stick it out without heat.

Hope it gets fixed very soon!!!! Check in when you can, miss you!!!
Posted By: debandbill Re: Out of juice - 07-04-2012 08:29 PM
Sitting here in Florida wondering how everyone is surviving without cool air. Bill and I mowed and edged this morning and as we sat outside under a tree trying to recuperate from the heat and humidity, I thought about all of you trying to operate and sleep in those hot houses.

My thoughts and prayers are with all of you and hope that power is restored soon.

Deb
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: Out of juice - 07-05-2012 06:10 PM
So glad you checked in, Charm - I've been worried and wondering how everyone was managing with the heat and no electricity. Sure hope it gets restored very soon! Hope everyone's pets are able to get water and make it through the heat wave, too. A couple of weeks ago, a very small black mother cat decided to have her 2 kittens in the crawl space under my house. She must be a feral cat because she doesn't allow me to get within 3 feet of her when they come out in the early morning or late evening. So now I'm CG to 2 kittens, 1 small mother cat, my son's cat, and all the birds that visit my birdbath every day for drinks and a bath. Praying for relief and power restoration soon for everyone.
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: Out of juice - 07-05-2012 07:30 PM
the power company brought in workers from Florida, New Hampshire, and Texas yesterday and today they have us back up with electricity. Just in time. Today's forecast is 103.
Cable back and internet. so just 6 days .
Almost freaked out when I saw I had an email from my bank that someone had tried to hack our bank accounts on Saturday but could not figure out the password in 3 times so the bank deactivated the password. While those messages are usually fake and link to a site to steal your password, I drove to the bank in person and sure enough, it was real. Luckily no money taken and I did a longer more secure password.
Ah - cool cool air.
Thanks Christine, Deb & Anne Marie for the sympathy.
Charm
Posted By: Maria Re: Out of juice - 07-05-2012 08:22 PM
Glad you are back online in the cool comfort of your own home!
Maria
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Out of juice - 07-05-2012 11:58 PM
So glad you have your power again, Charm!!! Miss you!!! I was worried aout you guys especially when I heard Saturday's forecast where I live is due to be 100. You are further south so it would be even worse. Horrible news about that hacker, glad they got stopped!!!!
Posted By: Kerri Re: Out of juice - 07-06-2012 05:16 AM
I'm so glad to hear that you're back in business! May the juice be with you! Keep cool, my friend!
Posted By: EzJim Re: Out of juice - 07-08-2012 10:45 AM
I was on I 70 last sunday and must have passed 200 power trucks heading soemwhere East of this area. I was lucky and only lost power for a few seconds. The temps are like most. High to mid 90s and dry.
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: Out of juice - 07-08-2012 01:23 PM
EZ Jim

yep, they were all heading out here to help. Those workers did an amazing job in blistering heat. Today marks the 11th straight day of high temperatures over 95. It hit 105 yesterday in my neighborhood, just shy of the all time 106 record. Today it was already 87 at 6 AM . So I am grateful to those workers for restoring our electricity. Ah, how lovely the AC compressor sounds.
Keep cool my friend
Charm
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Out of juice - 07-08-2012 02:49 PM
I was concerned about you and Bev with no power in that awful heat. Dont know how you got thru a week of it. I know I wouldnt be able to, not with it being so hot.

The power outage hit my area yesterday. A huge storm came thru, looked like a tornado with the black sky and how fast the winds moved the clouds. Yesterday had been about 100 and humid. Luckily yesterday I had moved into my house so Im not stuck without air conditioning or internet. I feel so bad for everyone stuck in my old apartment complex without power for almost 24 hours now. That makes 4 times in about the past year for that area to be hit.

Posted By: EzJim Re: Out of juice - 07-08-2012 07:01 PM
I do keep cool charm and don't go outside unless it's mowing time. I'm glad you got power again. I read someone say that it reminded them of the old days. LOL Hell with those days even if they did make us better people. Nothing like curtains blowing with cold air coming thru the registers.
Posted By: EricS Re: Out of juice - 07-08-2012 09:57 PM
Glad to see you with power again my friend, tell Bev I said hi! Miss you guys!
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: Out of juice - 07-09-2012 01:18 PM
Kerri

Thanks. I loved the Star Wars reference. In fact. last night as a series of booming thunderstorms hovered over our house, with loud noises that sounded like a transformer exploding, I tried a Jedi mind trick: getting up, waving my hands at the dark clouds and saying: [quote]This is not the electricity subgrid that you are looking for. Move on.[/quote]
Charm
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: Out of juice - 07-09-2012 01:19 PM
Christine

Yea! Bev and I are glad you escaped power loss this time. Plus OCF would hate to have you offline. Enjoy your house.
charm
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: Out of juice - 07-09-2012 01:21 PM
EzJim

Well we were both a lot younger back in the "old days" so I agree with you on modern conveniences like AC. Good to see you posting again
Charm
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: Out of juice - 07-09-2012 01:22 PM
Eric

Just glad we had power when you visited. Say high to Nate for me
Charm
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum