Posted By: John of arc CAN MY JOB - 07-02-2012 01:35 PM
SO I didn't see where this would fit into one of the categories so I posted it here. Please, if it's better suited somewhere else move it! Lol

*can my job fire me or not allow me to come back if cancer has changed some of my abilities?
For example, if my doctor says I can go back to work but I can't speak or have to spit into a cup to speak can they tell me I can't work or fire me?
If anyone can help answer this or direct me to a place where I can have this answered or know someone I can talk to please let me know. I tried searching the web but everything is too generalized.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: CAN MY JOB - 07-02-2012 02:14 PM
I believe that is a question under your particular State. That's where I would start asking.
Posted By: John of arc Re: CAN MY JOB - 07-02-2012 02:55 PM
Tried. Like I said, answers are too general so I was hoping someone would be familiar with what jobs can cannot do.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: CAN MY JOB - 07-02-2012 04:46 PM
Each state will have its own regulations. According to the Americans With Disabilities Act, an employer is required to make reasonable accommodations for someone who is 'handicapped'. Thats a very broad statement and can be interpreted in many different ways. If your job involved talking, say for example a telemarketer and you couldnt speak then you would not be able to do that job any longer and I couldnt imaging what accommodations would be made to enable you to still be employed as a telemarketer. Reasonable accommodations would mean things like a special chair, keyboard or desk for someone who has carpal tunnel. Bottom line is if an employer wants to fire someone they will find a reason to do it.

I am a former union steward and also was in charge of hiring and firing for many years. Ive seen both sides of this and been thru many meetings and trainings on this plus Ive attended unemployment hearings. Your question is exactly why its never a good idea to share too much of your medical history with your employer. Always CYA!

Sure hope you do not find yourself in this position in a few weeks!!!
Posted By: John of arc Re: CAN MY JOB - 07-02-2012 04:59 PM
I'm a preschool teacher.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: CAN MY JOB - 07-02-2012 06:44 PM
Are you in a Union?
Posted By: John of arc Re: CAN MY JOB - 07-02-2012 06:58 PM
No
Posted By: Wendy B Re: CAN MY JOB - 07-02-2012 08:01 PM
Hey Jon-
I worked for the county government. Unfortunately, especially without the protection of union, employers WILL find a way to let you go if they see fit.
My leave of absence was approved 3/11 thru 6-1-12. I was surprised they held my job open for so long. I learned the ulterior motive later. Doesn't matter, cuz I'm not ready to return to working.
I don't know your financial situation. I do know how traumatic the thought of losing this job, with great pay and benefits, was for me. It played a huge role in my depression, fear and anger. Another damn thing cancer took from me. F'er!!
After losing the job, however, even with the financial worries, I couldn't believe thr relief I felt. I think it was because of the pressure I was putting on myself to get well and return to work. And the anger I felt at not being able to. I even lied to my doctors and family re how I was feeling in order to get a release back to work. Knowing full well it was not the right thing for my body and health. I wanted that damn job so bad. But it's gone and there's nothing I can do about it. So now I don't have that pressure to hurry and get well and I can concentrate on my recovery more fully.
I wish things weren't so hard for you. I'd like to say that things will get better, but can only speak for myself. I've hurt bad, Jon. Didn't want to go on one more day. Thought of ways I might end it. But thoughts of how horrible that would be for my family - my 3 daughters, my mom whose already lost one daughter and her husband of 52 years to cancer, my sister who was by my side thru all this shit and already held the hand of one sister as she took her last breath, my fabulous husband of 10 years who has been a rock for me - those thoughts kept me plugging along. And things do get better. But it's harder for some than others. Don't beat yourself up like I do. It's a colossal waste of precious time.
And I'm older than you, so you have to listen to me LOL
Hang in there. No matter how dark it seems. I do have some very wonderful days too. And am finally learning to take it easier on myself.
I hope you don't have to struggle financially on top of everything else. It can make it so much harder. I hate money!
-Wendy
Posted By: Cheryld Re: CAN MY JOB - 07-03-2012 06:24 PM
As a preschool teacher - unfortunately I'd say a large portion of your job is hampered by your inability to speak. Reasonable accommodation would be letting you have a longer break because of fatigue etc... But spitting into something in the classroom, isn't - from a health standpoint - safe - for the children, (you know what little ones are like they get into everything, and the parents would have grounds to complain - I work for the school board so I've heard all manner of complaints) and not being able to speak is huge. I would wait to heal a little more. Probably not the answer you want to hear... Not a fan of the union perse but this is one benefit of being unionized. Rest up...
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum