Posted By: Charm2017 Michael Douglas & OCF - - 05-14-2012 02:20 PM
Michael Douglas is partnering with OCF to make a Public Service announcement on the importance of Early Detection. Just another example of how hard Brian Hill works to get the message out for all of us who want to see this cancer end.
Although I know it will be on the OCF news feed, since far too many of the OCF forum members do not subscribe to the fantastic OCF news feed (hint !), I'm sharing this OCF news release
Michael Douglas Partners With Oral Cancer Foundation
As usual, Brian takes no credit for what he has done
[quote]"The Foundation is indebted to Michael Douglas for partnering with us in the battle against oral cancer," said OCF Founder and Executive Director Brian Hill, who is a survivor of the same cancer Mr. Douglas had. "Michael is a highly visible, well known actor, and a consummate professional. Those qualities, when coupled with his personal cancer experience, yield a respected voice to this fight. His willingness right from the beginning of his journey, to openly talk about his difficult personal experience with oral cancer on TV and in print, has certainly created awareness in the public of a cancer too few have even heard of. That impact will be multiplied through this partnership with the foundation, and translate into increased early recognition of problems, avoidance of risk factors, and participation in annual opportunistic screenings by the public. His involvement will create a tipping point that will ultimately save lives[/quote]
So I want to shout out: Way to go Brian.
Charm
Posted By: Ingrid K Re: Michael Douglas & OCF - - 05-14-2012 05:11 PM
Charm, DITTO !! Brian does so much, yet claims he is not a hero. (I beg to differ) thanks for posting.
Posted By: David2 Re: Michael Douglas & OCF - - 05-14-2012 06:18 PM
And thritto for Brian. A hero no matter what he says.
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: Michael Douglas & OCF - - 05-14-2012 06:23 PM
Way to go Brian! Without you OCF would not exist and us OC survivors would not have this great website and forum to help us get through this awful disease.

And a big THANK YOU to Michael Douglas for doing the PSA and being a spokesperson on oral cancer -- you have done a lot to bring about awareness. Early detection does save lives!

Thank you both!
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Michael Douglas & OCF - - 05-14-2012 08:57 PM
Thanks Brian for everything you do!!!
Posted By: ngk Re: Michael Douglas & OCF - - 05-14-2012 09:03 PM
yes thank you brian,you are a hero indeed!
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Michael Douglas & OCF - - 05-14-2012 11:20 PM
Brian you are fabuloso! smile and an inspiration!
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: Michael Douglas & OCF - - 05-15-2012 12:18 AM
This really is an awesome site. Just the way it was conceived and developed is amazing and so far above any other discussion or help site. Brian is at the top of my list of amazing and unforgettable people. Kudos and BIG thanks to Michael Douglas, too for being such a great part of OCF! I remember Michael's Dad (Kirk) visiting the camera company in Chicago where I worked in the mid to late 50's and noticing when he was grown how much Michael resembled his famous Dad. With wonderful people like we have at OCF, life is indeed Good!
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Michael Douglas & OCF - - 05-15-2012 03:06 AM
The press release has been edited to show the release statement of the relationship on the Time Square billboard in NYC during rush hour today

http://oralcancernews.org/wp/actor-...dation-for-early-detection-psa-campaign/
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Michael Douglas & OCF - - 05-15-2012 04:01 AM
Great work Brian!!!! Way to go, putting it right there on the Times Square billboard. Thats sure to get some attention!!! So glad Mr Douglas has been part of the awareness campaign!!!
Posted By: Gabe Re: Michael Douglas & OCF - - 05-15-2012 06:07 AM
WOW�whistle
That really should grab the attention of so many people and bring awareness to the public about Oral Cancer.
Well done and thanks for everything you do Brian.
Also a thank you to Michael Douglas.
Gabriele
Posted By: Maria Re: Michael Douglas & OCF - - 05-15-2012 01:44 PM
Excellent work, Brian and Micheal!
Posted By: AnitaFrances Re: Michael Douglas & OCF - - 05-15-2012 02:15 PM
WOWEE! I LOVE THIS! So exciting to see OCF getting out there with Michael Douglas support! Brian, many thanks to you for starting this and for your dedication. This site has been a lifesaver for me and Clark.
Posted By: David2 Re: Michael Douglas & OCF - - 05-15-2012 04:08 PM
Brian has also gotten some very heavy-hitters behind the camera as well. I'm in the biz and the names are indeed impressive. All around fantastic bit of publicity for oral cancer awareness!
Posted By: Shelley K Re: Michael Douglas & OCF - - 05-15-2012 04:24 PM
Excellent Press Release!! Brian Hill Rules!!!!

Shelley
Posted By: ConnieFL Re: Michael Douglas & OCF - - 05-15-2012 05:14 PM
Brian,

Excellent news. You say you aren't a "Hero"...where would all the people on the forum be without you. You are our "Hero". Thank you for being you and helping all of us with and without Oral Cancer.

Posted By: EricS Re: Michael Douglas & OCF - - 05-15-2012 07:09 PM
Hero, example, leader, friend...all descriptors that come to mind
Posted By: Bob Whyte Re: Michael Douglas & OCF - - 05-15-2012 11:11 PM
Brian, Thanks and Semper-Fi Bob
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Michael Douglas & OCF - - 05-15-2012 11:26 PM
OK guys, please quit. I'm very appreciative of the comments. You have to know that this is a labor of love, and what a privilege it is at this point in my life to work at an endeavor that means something to others.

I am pleased that OCF is having so much positive impact. But like I always say, I am just one part of many that make it all work. This year we have had an extraordinary group of returning and new volunteers put on walks for us around the country. Those are funding new HPV research this year, and much more, like the production costs to get the Douglas PSA actually on the air.

Most of all, at this stage of my life, I am grateful for the camaraderie that I am able to share with fellow travelers on the cancer path, with researchers, and with the doctors that work in the trenches. You all enrich my life in ways that you likely do not fathom. I thought after Vietnam, that I would never again feel that intensity of brotherhood, that no relationship would have the depth, or often unspoken bond shared with a fire tested brother in arms. But I was wrong. My OCF relationships, many borne of the same association with a real battle for survival no less fearsome than with a human adversary, share many of the same qualities and feelings. Their emotional impact equally significant and protracted.

OCF has its own legs now, and the security of knowing that it will continue past me is a true joy. The many many supporters that donate, each to their on level of ability, are continuing to grow. The increasingly more knowledgeable patient advocates here on the forums, are answering and supporting the increased flow of participants as OCF becomes more visible nationally. The foundation is firmly on the map, and with invitations to be part of the decision making at the NCI, to have an impact and be thought of by the CDC as an organization that they have to get input from when policy is on the table that relates to our disease; these are all indicators that your voices are being heard, and that it is an organization of relevance. One day, not in my lifetime unfortunately, OCF will hopefully close its doors, not for lack of donors, nor volunteers, nor advocates that are willing to tilt at the windmills, but because we have a firm handle on oral cancer, and the incidence becomes minimal.

All of you are that future.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum