Posted By: MissBazinet Fluoride Trays - 04-24-2012 06:01 PM
Wasn't sure where to ask this but my dentist gave me a Mint 1.1% Neutral Fluoride to use in my trays. I don't know if it's the mint or what but something about it I just can't take. It kinda feels like burning or just irritating. Is it just because my mouth is so raw? Has anyone used a different flavor that has worked better for them? I know I need to do this so I need it to be somewhat pleasant. Right?! lol Thanks all!

MissB
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Fluoride Trays - 04-24-2012 08:07 PM
Hi... the flouride can be VERY irritating. I know they say take it at night, before bed, but after rads ( I did it during but only until it became too painful then I stopped), I eased into it doing it every second night at first, then nightly and sometimes if it's too irritating I switch to days for a bit that way after an hour I can rinse. Which you wouldn't necessarily do if you do it before bed. There are some that are more neutral than others, and mint, particularly if it's strong hurts. Ask him to recommend another brand. I had my recent check up almost one year out and the dental oncologist said my mouth was great for all it had been through - but I don't eat sugar or processed foods and I water pik twice a day to clean along the gum line... I think all of this helps... good luck.
Posted By: Shauneen Re: Fluoride Trays - 04-24-2012 10:25 PM
Try the unflavoured gel - that's what I use.
It doesn't bother me too much..I think it's the actual trays that bug me sometimes.
I sometimes use them before bed, but switch to other times in the day (like Cheryl), as I like to drink water and line my mouth with Oral Balance at night to lessen the dreaded morning dry mouth.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Fluoride Trays - 04-25-2012 04:33 AM
Hey - another Canuck! Hello!!! smile
Posted By: Shauneen Re: Fluoride Trays - 04-25-2012 04:53 AM
Hi Cheryl - I've been following you eh? smile
Posted By: MissBazinet Re: Fluoride Trays - 04-25-2012 06:13 AM
Thanks Ladies. I'll be giving my dentist a call:)

MissB
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Fluoride Trays - 04-25-2012 12:02 PM
Hi shauneen!! wink
Posted By: mcohavi Re: Fluoride Trays - 05-04-2012 07:19 PM
Hi -- I also use floride trays. I had to stop during my radiation and for some time after because my mouth was so sore and raw. But now that I have healed, I continue to use them and the mint doesn't bother me anymore. There are many other flavors though, you should ask your dentist.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum