Posted By: BuffaloFan What is a good site to find support groups? - 04-08-2012 01:49 PM
I am looking for a support group in my area and wondering is there a site I can search to find one. I have searched American Caner Society and could not find any in my area.
If no recommendation, any suggestions on starting one? Not just for oral but any cancer.
Posted By: EricS Re: What is a good site to find support groups? - 04-08-2012 02:31 PM
Hey Pete!

One of the reasons Brian Hill created OCF is because he was dissatisfied with the support levels out there from other organizations. Following his cancer ordeal he felt he needed more support than the monthly meetings offered by other organizations, often times daily support.

Personally I live in a remote area of Idaho and don't have many options for support groups etc...especially for Head & Neck Cancers, which is why OCF has been such a resource for me. I've been able to connect with other patients and survivors here that I've carried over to Facebook and am able to connect more personally, There is a Facebook thread under the "Friends" forum that has a good list going. What I love about Facebook is not having to leave my house, I have it on my phone so I have almost an instant connection with the people of OCF I trust to give me good support.

I also volunteer locally for cancer support groups etc however I find I'm supporting others rather than myself at those, which is why I prefer OCF. I suggest contacting the local hospitals or cancer centers as they generally have more information on local support groups etc.

Hope that helps my friend!

Eric
Eric, the reason why I ask is because I like the physical interaction and the web cannot provide that for me. I have hidden way too much on the internet and have lost touch with friends because it.

Fred
Posted By: EricS Re: What is a good site to find support groups? - 04-08-2012 03:54 PM
Definitely check with the local hospitals then, I think they will have better information on support groups locally.
[quote=EricS]Definitely check with the local hospitals then, I think they will have better information on support groups locally. [/quote]

I talked to a social worker at the clinic I get treated at and I was told there used to be a group that met but it seems they have stopped meeting.
Pete

I don't know if this is the group that used to meet but it is still listed as current as of April 8th, 2012 at the Spohnc web site as a head and neck cancer support group
NEW YORK-ROCHESTER
Strong Memorial Hospital
Luellen Resource Center, Patient Res. Ctr.
1st. Thursday: 4:30-6:00 PM
Sandra E. Sabatka, LMSW 585-276-4529
[email protected]

Hope this helps.
Charm
Posted By: ZendaT Re: What is a good site to find support groups? - 04-09-2012 12:41 AM
Pete,

Do check with www.spohnc.org for your nearest support group. I have found that SPOHNC (Support for People with Oral, Head and Neck Cancer) provides practical and emotional face to face support for patients and caregivers.
Hello BuffaloFan, Wilmont cancer center has a head and neck support group the first Thursday of every month! I myself didn't really find the group very helpful; but it may work for you. One of the reasons why I didn't find the group helpful was that it was mainly a informational group; being a registered nurse myself I was hoping for a open group forum where we could interact with each other and talk about depression, anger, fears of the unknown, etc.! But sounds like this may be what you are looking for!
Fred, I too was looking for a support group. The hospital where I had my surgery did not have a cancer spt group, and I found one in the paper at a nearby hospital. I went last week for the first time (they meet weekly) and was warmly welcomed.
Meeting in person with others certainly has another dimension to therapy. Good luck!!
Ken

The hospital where my son had his treatment had different kinds of "in person" support groups for cancer patients - one of them that I noticed was a "laughter therapy" group. Well, even though he is the type to have great sense of humor, this was one thing he didn't want to go to but he encouraged me to check it out. I didn't - because I thought - how could I laugh about anything without him? A few weeks later, I thought I would go anyway, but the nice lady at the desk said they had cancelled it. Cancelled laughter! That kind of depressed me for a while. I know everyone is different and we all react differently to things and whatever helps is a good thing. So, in addition to checking with local hospitals, you could check "groups.yahoo.com" to see if they had something for cancer survivors, or even start your own group. A friend of my son's met her significant other at a local hiking group.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum