Posted By: BuffaloFan Sleep - lack of - 04-06-2012 09:05 AM
How does one deal when cannot get enough sleep? I have noticed I will get up 3 - 5 times during the night to read adjust my self or go to bathroom.

Posted By: EricS Re: Sleep - lack of - 04-06-2012 12:33 PM
Oh the joys of insomnia...I know them well. I spent the better part of the last four years struggling with it, even after getting off the opiate pain meds, which notoriously cause insomnia. They actually activate areas of the brain that keep you awake so after you've developed a tolerance to them this is a common effect.

When I think back on my treatment days the sleep deprivation was probably the leading cause of my insanity, it was horrible. My Dr's tried it all too, low dose tricyclic antidepressants, benzodiazepines, Ambien/Lunesta, the works...and where I didn't find restful sleep I did have fun with the side effects of those drugs. My wife's stories of my Ambien/Lunesta sleepwalking experiences both crack me up and scare the hell out of me. Everything from running around outside in the harsh N.Idaho winters, in my pajamas, hunting ninjas on the roof (apparently sent by the government to kill me) to putting my wife in a choke hold, which is scary as I'm a lifelong wrestler and have studied/love ju-jitsu.

Medicinal Marijuana has been prescribed for insomnia (vaporized or injested, never smoked!) with good feedback from patients. My past experience with this I'll share that it did work very well for me in this area without the harsh and potential psychotic side effects of the other drugs listed above. There are side effects however that can be rather harsh, like your kids whining that you ate all of their Doritos, my wife slapping me for finishing off the Dove Chocolate bars she hides in the Freezer to appease her viscous addiction, or probably the worst...I had the hardest time fitting into my skinny jeans that really accented my posterior. Oh what we subject ourselves to due to cancer...

Anyway BuffaloFan, I hope you find something that works for you and eases your pain and brings you comfort, lord knows your football team hasn't been up to the task...says the Seattle Seahawks fan smile

Hope that helps!

Eric

Posted By: ChristineB Re: Sleep - lack of - 04-06-2012 05:21 PM
Sorry to hear you have insomnia. I ended up taking a prescription sleeping pill on some nights where I couldnt sleep. Check with your doc if they can prescribe something that you can take occasionally. I would also wait to take the benedryl for my sinus issues until close to bedtime. Ive finished chemo/rads Sept 2007 and I still cant sleep right at night. Of course everybody is different and most wont have long lasting sleep problems. I just have too much on my mind to spend much time sleeping.

Posted By: BuffaloFan Re: Sleep - lack of - 04-06-2012 05:34 PM
Saw LNP today when I went for my first treatment. She recommend taking some benadryl before bed and this would help keep me a sleep. She also recommend not drinking water close, and if getting dry mouth take a sip not a gulp.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Sleep - lack of - 04-06-2012 05:44 PM
You can also try some of the Biotene line of products. There is a mouth gel that helps keep your mouth moist.

Try sleeping with a humidifier. The extra moisture in the room can be a big help. Plus the sound of it can help to lull you to sleep.

Posted By: BuffaloFan Re: Sleep - lack of - 04-06-2012 05:48 PM
[quote=ChristineB]Try sleeping with a humidifier. The extra moisture in the room can be a big help. Plus the sound of it can help to lull you to sleep.

[/quote]

I sleep with one and does not help with the sleep. Thanks for the suggestions. I think what I need right now is a big teddy bear [img]http://www.heathersanimations.com/teddies/runrupert.gif[/img]
Posted By: Maria Re: Sleep - lack of - 04-06-2012 08:07 PM
I don't think there any one magic cure for insomnia - sometimes trying several things may help. Other stuff to try -
don't 'try' to sleep - just say I will rest and relax
meditative breathing - concentrating on following your breath in and out.
dvd's - movies you have already seen, but that are soothing to watch.
The teddy bear (or a nice memory foam pillow) isn't a bad idea
My neurologist friend recommends a lavender pillow to help with stress reduction. Now, I know that sounds wacky for a football fan, but seriously, why not give it a try.
Posted By: KP5 Re: Sleep - lack of - 04-06-2012 08:30 PM
One thought. Benadryl is used for allergies and to dry up the mucus/ runny nose as well as itchy watery eyes. Where there is already dry mouth potential, that would not be a good choice. Just my opinion!! Might want to try the Lunesta or Ambien instead, or just some good old Tylenol PM. You could also try Melatonin.
But really, the Benadryl dries me out terrible and I don't have dry mouth.
Kathy
Posted By: BuffaloFan Re: Sleep - lack of - 04-08-2012 11:12 AM
I actually got 6 hours straight sleep with no meds!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: Sleep - lack of - 04-08-2012 12:33 PM
BuffaloFan - Fantastic! Do the happy dance! I know the feeling. Last time I had 6 hours straight sleep I was on vacation in Mexico.
Posted By: BuffaloFan Re: Sleep - lack of - 04-08-2012 01:23 PM
I changed my nightly habit last night.
Treated myself to a movie (ALONE frown ) and was asleep by 12
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: Sleep - lack of - 04-09-2012 01:27 AM
What movie was it? I'll have to get it next time I can't sleep.
Posted By: Marly Re: Sleep - lack of - 04-09-2012 02:14 AM
Warm milk always helps me sleep.. smile
Posted By: emilyp Re: Sleep - lack of - 04-14-2012 08:58 PM
I have been suffering from insomia as well - it has always been a problem for me, but in the past it was an occasional occurrence and ambien would work. Now, nothing seems to work! I am prescribed to both Ambien and Lunesta, but neither seem to keep me asleep. I have contemplated taking both at the same time, but am not sure of the side effects. Good luck to you, and let me know if you find anything that helps!
Posted By: klo Re: Sleep - lack of - 04-14-2012 10:21 PM
Hi Emily

Ambien is designed to help you fall asleep - not stay asleep unless you have the slow release version. I am not familiar with Lunesta.

Please tell your doctor that they are not working, and he or she may prescribe something else.

Unless your doctor has advised they can be taken together, you run the risk of added side effects (and essentially overdosing yourself) without any addition in therapeutic benefit. You can also develop tolerance to these drugs which means that your body gets used to the drug and requires more and more of it to have an effect. For this reason, they are prescribed for short term problems and should not be taken over extended periods of time
Posted By: EzJim Re: Sleep - lack of - 04-17-2012 12:36 AM
WOW and I tyhought 2 1/2 hrs solid was good. Yours sounds much better.This trach keeps one awake suctioning it out. No more tho. I just posted
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum