Posted By: Leslie B OC/HPV on the NBC Nightly News - 09-15-2011 11:17 PM
For those of you who may not have seen this ... the first report on tonight's "NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams" is on the rise of HPV-related head and neck cancers, pegged to the current kerfluffle over Texas Gov. Rick Perry and his short-lived HPV vaccination mandate (and Rep. Michele Bachmann's very odd remarks about mental retardation and the vaccine). The reporter is NBC's chief medical editor, Dr. Nancy Snyderman, who is a head and neck surgeon.

You can see the report on the "Nightly News" website: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/
Posted By: ChristineB Re: OC/HPV on the NBC Nightly News - 09-15-2011 11:32 PM
Leslie, thanks for posting this! I loved how they promoted the vaccine to protect children from ever having to go thru OC.
Posted By: zengalib Re: OC/HPV on the NBC Nightly News - 09-16-2011 12:13 AM
Very good presentation, even though my oral cancer wasn't HPV related.
Posted By: AnitaFrances Re: OC/HPV on the NBC Nightly News - 09-16-2011 12:56 AM
This may be the first time many people will have learned of the connection between OC and HPV. Millions of people watch national news. Great feature.
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: OC/HPV on the NBC Nightly News - 09-16-2011 06:25 AM
Well done. It certainly helps to have this on national news with Brian Willaims. I plan on sharing this leak with my friends and family.

Thanks for posting it on the forum!
Posted By: Gabe Re: OC/HPV on the NBC Nightly News - 09-16-2011 07:21 AM
Thanks for sharing this Leslie.
It is so easy to understand for those not aware of oral cancer or for people that think it is an older person�s disease.
It has to raise alarm bells for the rise of HPV related OC in the younger generation or for all parents who have seen this report.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: OC/HPV on the NBC Nightly News - 09-16-2011 01:02 PM
Shame on every major network out there. Making viewers think this is something new. I and the OCF have been on the mission to advocate and educate about HPV and the vaccine for over 5 years now and I literally begged all the majors to do something like this that long ago. I have been only able to get local coverage. I also testified before the Florida House on a similar vaccination bill for girls entering the 9th grade but it was also dismissed along political lines. I also testified before the CDC on behalf of the OCF also to no avail.

Think about all the children that could have gotten the vaccine that didn't that are at risk now because of everyone looking the other way.

Also the CDC DID NOT AND DOES NOT endorse this vaccine for the prevention of Oral Cancer, only against cervical cancer and genital warts. It angers me that they were mentioned and associated with this HPV issue when they also turned their back on pure logic.

Just my 2 cents.
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: OC/HPV on the NBC Nightly News - 09-17-2011 04:57 AM
David - please add to your list anal cancer, that it is FDA approved for the prevention of. This came after the fact, as they had a portion of their original clinical trial that involved individuals with this disease done in the Caribbean. It was added last year as an approved disease.

What the manufacturer and the FDA/CDC can't do, which is state something that the clinical trials did not investigate (oral cancer) as being a fact, is being talked about a great deal by the scientific community and the medical community. Right now with no NEW clinical trial for this on the horizon, public comment, with the support of respected researchers and scientists from the medical world, along with constant pressure form others like the OCF, are what is creating all this dialog. We have to keep it up.

There isn't a media person that I talk to that I do not bring this up to. If you can't get the virus, you can't get things the virus might have caused. This is not a huge scientific leap. The protection against HPV16 now has almost 9 years of recorded clinical evidence of 100% coverage of young girls that got the shot. (about 24 million) A recent article in the OCF news feed looked at this and it may be that a single or two shot regime would have the same outcome given the data we have today. (The original prescribed shot regime was 3 shots over several years)

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/233147.php
Posted By: Leslie B Re: OC/HPV on the NBC Nightly News - 09-17-2011 02:22 PM
This link goes directly to the "Nightly News" HPV video: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/#44542589
Posted By: ChristineB Re: OC/HPV on the NBC Nightly News - 09-17-2011 05:53 PM
On the Guardisil shot's website they only list vaginal, vulvar and cervical cancer as cancers caused by HPV. I hope to see oral cancer on that list one day.

I had my daughter immunized with the Guardisil shot about 3 years ago. I seem to remember she was given the doses every 3 months. Now the website says, the second dose is given 2 months after the first one and the third dose 6 months later.

http://www.gardasil.com/
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: OC/HPV on the NBC Nightly News - 09-19-2011 12:00 AM
The anal cancer approval just came about 9 months ago, so their website was not updated for when it was built years ago to introduce and inform related to the original FDA approval. But considering that the site is their "one more" branded site, perhaps they chose not to put the anal approval on it. By the way they did not go do additional clinical trials to get this, but the necessary information was inside the original trial as a collateral data collection. Given it was already done they opted to apply for the approval from the FDA. Oral would require a whole new very expensive 5 year trial.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum