Posted By: davidcpa Getting the word out - 02-23-2010 10:53 PM
Yesterday when I was at Moffitt with my client/friend and we were there 8 hours, I had plenty of down time and I chose to go to the brochure racks and pull out the OFC brochures I had previously placed and selectively give them to patients waiting to be seen. Each one sparked a conversation and helped to pass the time and hopefully some will visit our website and get help just like we all did.

The reason I mention this is that when I first began posting here there was always a push to order OFC material and get it placed in our CCC's, hospitals, clinics, doctors offices, etc and it's been a while since this topic has been mentioned. I always take OFC material with me and make sure it's available at Moffitt and even my dentist has some in his office so PLEASE order from Megan and let's spread the word.

Megan, if you are reading this I am out and need more.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Getting the word out - 02-23-2010 11:27 PM
David, I keep the brochurs in my car and take a few with me to all Dr or hospital visits, I see a new PCP tomorrow and will leave a few there too. Good work on your part and this post reminded me to get more brochures. Thanks buddy.
Posted By: Malka Re: Getting the word out - 02-24-2010 12:20 AM
I give the buttons to all the residents, interns, medical students, technicians, nurses, therapists,office staff and even the new doctors I meet in my many hospital and office visits.
Posted By: Susan Lauria Re: Getting the word out - 02-24-2010 02:50 AM
Yes, please everyone request them thru Megan and continue to pass around. It does work and we have had many people come to the forum from those brochures.

Every little bit helps!!!
Posted By: MikeC Re: Getting the word out - 06-04-2010 05:14 PM
I recently received a box of the literature. I dropped most of it off at Baylor DFW today. Next week is cancer awareness week (all kinds). Baylor is setting up several tables on Thursday for various support groups, including SPOHNC. The OCF literature and bracelets will likely be at that table as well. I kept some of the material to pass along to my local Baylor general practice office.
Posted By: Susan Lauria Re: Getting the word out - 06-07-2010 02:54 AM
Great Mike. We actualy worked with some students from Baylor. They did a walk associated with Concord Baptist Church a few weeks ago, it was a small walk but I am in touch with several deans from the dental school to possibly make it a bigger event next year. If you get any contacts from the school, let me know. I will contact as well.

Thanks so much!!

Susan
Posted By: Caco Re: Getting the word out - 08-25-2011 06:56 PM
I see materials all over HUP smile
Posted By: patrick2128 Re: Getting the word out - 09-16-2011 04:33 PM
daivd,
on the subject of getting the word out how about contacting dr oz he just might do a story about oral cancer and hpv. pat
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Getting the word out - 09-16-2011 10:54 PM
Patrick, Dr Oz recently did a show on HPV and oral cancer.

http://www.huliq.com/12079/dr-oz-talks-oral-cancer-caused-hpv-virus-oral-sex
Posted By: patrick2128 Re: Getting the word out - 09-16-2011 11:29 PM
as usual great info. my wife says hpv wasn't around in the 70's if not when did it raise it's ugly head thanks again pat
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Getting the word out - 09-17-2011 03:35 AM
Patrick - HPV has been with us for a very long time. Going back to 1948 when at its peak destructiveness versions 16 and 18 were cause enough cervical cancers to make it the number one killer of women in the US that year. (It was around long before then) HPV in a retrospective study that OCF did with Maura Gillison published in the Journal of Oncology really started to get legs in the posterior mouth in the late 60"s and early 70's. This is most likely due to the quickly changing sexual behaviors that were taking place in the developed world during that period. Of course those behaviors have never gone back to the days of Ozzie and Harriet relationships.

Looking at tissue samples from the SEER database we were able to plot the steady increase in oral HPV cancers from the early 70's until today, and from that drew a trend line to 2020 which shows an ever increasing rapid ramp up of these cancers. Of course you have likely read it here before, but in this generation we can't do anything about this, but for our children and grand children the cervical cancer vaccine is likely our only hope of turning this epidemic around.
Posted By: Leslie B Re: Getting the word out - 09-17-2011 12:07 PM
Links to the Dr. Oz show clips: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum