Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#156379 10-17-2012 07:39 AM
Jemi Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello everyone! My name is Jemi and I'm caring for my 57 year old father that is suffering from BOT cancer since 2009. He is an alcoholic and cig smoker. After trying chemo and max radiation, he was finally forced to have a total glossectomy/total laryngectomy on September 4th. If he had not had this surgery the tumor would have surely closed all food and air ways in his throat. I have recently been informed that he has been dumping beer, and who knows what else, down his feeding tube. Has any other caregivers experienced this and what are the risks that go along with putting beer ito the feeding tube? the swelling has been acting weird as well. The dr said he would stay swollen for a long time, but the weird part is it will decrease then swell up again. Could the beer intake be causeing this?

Thanks for any advice

Jemi
CG to my 57yo dad. 4th stage SCC at BOT. Pea size knot popped up in 07, diagnosed 09. Max radiation in dec 09 followed by cisplatin chemo twice. Cancer returned 2011 and total gloss/total laryngectomy performed Sept 4 2012.
Jemi #156385 10-17-2012 09:44 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Jemi - I'm so glad found this place. And what a great caregiver you are to be taking care of your father. I cannot relate directly to your question but I'm sure others will be along soon that can help. I know it can be a crazy-maker to care for an alcoholic even when not undergoing cancer treatment - I was married to an alcoholic for 20 years and there were some pretty difficult and gruesome days. I hope you are taking care of yourself, too. What helped me a lot was going to Al-Anon where i got some great support and it really helped me get through some tough times. An addiction, for some, can be ever so difficult to recover from. Have you talked with your Father's doctors to see if they have any ideas to help your Dad quit the alcohol and the smoking? I'm so sorry you are having these worries. Try to hang in there and I'm sure someone will be along to help and to answer your beer-in-the-tube question.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Jemi Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you so much Anne-Marie! I lost my mom to melanoma cancer 5 years ago and his drinking got worse than ever after that. My brother was arrested for assault and possession of controlled substance less than 3 months after her death. The stress of all that caused him to drink more and more just to deal with everything. He's not currently smoking through the trachae, that I know of, but he can't quit the alcohol. I was actually more concerned about him getting hooked on the pain meds after his surgery than him picking up drinking again.
Both of their addictions prompted me to go seek my own help dealing with it. I started attending a yoga/meditation class which GREATLY reduced the stress in my life and I made some really good friends. I am currently putting the finishing touches on my application to grad school. I'm seeking my Ph.D. in clinical psychotherapy with emphasis on addiction and also on grief and stress releif smile

Jemi
CG to my 57yo dad. 4th stage SCC at BOT. Pea size knot popped up in 07, diagnosed 09. Max radiation in dec 09 followed by cisplatin chemo twice. Cancer returned 2011 and total gloss/total laryngectomy performed Sept 4 2012.
Jemi #156399 10-17-2012 07:03 PM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

I can relate to what you are going through, yoga is a great way to deal!

Jim did have swelling that would come and go after he had the same surgery. Lymphadema caused a lot of that and massage helped get those excess fluids moving and reduced the swelling.

I didn't have the beer down feeding tube issue but I think if it helps him deal with all he is going through and doesn't replace the good calories he needs to take in what's the harm? I'm sure the docs won't agree with me on that point though.

Take care!

CG to sp age 53
4/10 BOT IVb
6/10 Ttl Gloss Lrngectmy L Mndbltmy 5+ Nodes
7/10 Cispl & Rad
1/11 recur lung mets
2/11 Clin Tr Erb Carb 5FU last 5/11
7/11 Tumor growth began wkly Bleo, Taxol, Carbo
10/28/11 Hospice; Passed 11/7/11
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Jemi,, your Dad is so lucky to have you. This operation is so huge and life changing. My Kris had this surgery in March '12 and it certainly is life changing. Your Dad has so much to deal with . Kris still has swelling around his throat / neck area. Somedays are worse than others. We were told that it would take at least 9 months for this to subside. At 2 months post surgery he was still hugely swollen. I wouldn't worry too much about this.
As for the alcohol. I guess all you can do is reiterate for love for your Dad and let him know that his drinking upsets you and is probably not good for him in excess. Really, if its going down the PEG it won't be detrimental to the surgical area and won't have an affect on those tissues. Your Dad Has to want this for himself. Do what you can to help yourself deal with this and it sounds like you are.
Honestly I can understand why your Dad is drinking, he is comforting himself the only way he knows how. Until he is ready to get help for his alcoholism there is nothing you can do. Just let him know that you are there for him.
This beer dumping won't be affecting the lymphoedema.
Take care and keep in touch.
Tammy

Caregiver/advocate to Husband Kris age 59@ diagnosis
DX Dec '10 SCC BOT T4aN2bM0 HPV+ve.Cisplatin x3 35 IMRT.
PET 6/11 clear.
R) level 2-4 neck dissection 8/1/11 to remove residual node - necrotic with NED
Feb '12 Ca back.. 3/8/12 total glossectomy/laryngectomy/bilat neck dissection/partial pharyngectomy etc. clear margins. All nodes negative for disease. PEG in.
March 2017 - 5 years disease free. Woohoo!
Jemi #156417 10-18-2012 07:42 AM
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Jemi, welcome to OCF! Sorry to hear about your father. Being a caregiver is a very difficult job especially with a stubborn patient. The drinking thru the tube isnt something you will be able to change. If he is an alcoholic, then he must want to change himself (which it doesnt sound like he is ready). At least the alcohol isnt touching his delicate mouth areas. Im sure watching this is very frustrating to you.

Wishing you both all the very best with everything!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Jemi #156455 10-19-2012 08:50 AM
Jemi Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you all SO much! I very much understand that I cannot change anything he is doing. I've dealt with this behavior for years. What my main concern over the beer down the tube is the risk of it taking away his calories. When he very first had the tube inserted and came home, he was putting 237ml of glucerna in his tube all at one time. This was causing his stomach to bloat and he was throwing everything up. Once he started putting the supplement in slower, he tolerated it better and started to gain weight. He was up to 126 pounds two weeks ago (121 has been the lowest he's weighed), and now he's back down to 122. I feel like the beer to his stomach is swelling his stomach and not allowing room for calories he desperately needs right now. Dr. said at 121, his body was close to a catabolic state.

There is also a quarter size knot that has popped up in the crease of his right arm, which is the same side he had his neck dissection and pectoralis flap done. Could this knot be from all that being pulled upwards or could it me a mass?

Just worried for him frown

Jemi
Jemi #156457 10-19-2012 09:01 AM

Jemi

There is no doubt that the beer is swelling his stomach and does pose a caloric risk due to fullness. I tried beer down my feeding tube and it was a disaster.
My advice is to buy those 5 liter box wines for your dad and let him syringe WINE down his tube. The wine lacks the fermentation and swelling. The alcoholic content is higher and he will need a lot less to to get the same effect.
All of my doctors have said that since the alcohol goes directly to the stomach and does not touch the sensitive oral tissues at all, it did not worry them. From personal experience stick with WHITE WINE, as the red stains the tube and the leaks stain everything.
Of course it'd be better if he were not addicted to alcohol, but as the Sulpician Fathers taught me in the seminary
[quote]de duobus malis, minus est semper eligendum [/quote]
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
Jemi #156714 10-25-2012 07:50 AM
Jemi Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi all, please let me know if what I'm about to post needs to be moved to a different forum, like reoccurence or something smile

Yesterday, we saw the surgeon that did my dad's total gloss/laryn regarding the knot that had appeared in his arm near the armpit. Dr. said it absolutely was not a knotted up muscle. He wanted a needle biopsy done but the insurance would not pay for that until an ultrasound had been done. They did ultrasound yesterday and it is positive for an enlarged lymph node. Dr. said it could still be an infection or something inflamed from the neck dissection, etc. Needle biopsy is being done on Halloween. Please say a prayer for us!

Jemi
Jemi #156729 10-25-2012 04:34 PM

This new development can't be helping your dad's stress levels. I got to the point where I treasured the time waiting for the next test or result just for the brief period of stability. I'll be praying that this is nothing of concern.

CG to sp age 53
4/10 BOT IVb
6/10 Ttl Gloss Lrngectmy L Mndbltmy 5+ Nodes
7/10 Cispl & Rad
1/11 recur lung mets
2/11 Clin Tr Erb Carb 5FU last 5/11
7/11 Tumor growth began wkly Bleo, Taxol, Carbo
10/28/11 Hospice; Passed 11/7/11
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507