Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

hello,
I had all my teeth removed on the top about two years ago and immediately got a denture. Within about 6 months i noticed a lump on my gums under the denture. Well over the last year and a half it has grown very large and irregular shape,( It looks like one lump on top of another) It's like a dark reddish color. It doesn't hurt most of the time unless it gets to irritated from the denture. I went to a dentist yesterday and she looked disgusted and immediately told me i needed to go to an oral surgeon and have it removed and biopsied and she said she thinks it might be oral cancer. I can't find anything like this on the internet and i was wondering if you guys might be able to give me some advice, stories of experience, or opinions. Please, im still young and very worried. Thanks in advance.

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Jenn,

There can be many issues happening in your mouth, especially since you have dentures and it doesn't automatically mean it's cancer. Take a breath and ease your mind there.

We have a saying on these boards, it's NOT cancer until a BIOPSY says it is. Take your dentists advice, get into an oral surgeon or Ear Nose & Throat Dr. ASAP and get it checked out. Don't let your mind go wild as you will drive yourself crazy with worry, but do your due diligence and get the biopsy, it's the only way to ease your mind as to if you have cancer or not.

Best of luck

Eric

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Sounds like your dentist is really on top of things. The only way to tell for sure what is causing the lump is to get a biopsy. So it is important you get it as soon as possible. Whatever the results of the biopsy, you will feel better knowing exactly what it is and then you can start doing something about it. There is a lot of the latest and accurate information on this site. So use the search feature on this page and on the main page to find out everything you can so you can be prepared with your questions for the oral surgeon. The biopsy is no big deal. My son had his and it only took a few minutes. And that was 4 years ago and he's doing fine, now.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

OP Offline

Thank you! I try not to worry but it's hard. I have three young children and im pregnant with our last and it just seems like over the last few months so many health issues have come up.

OP Offline

I will search all the info i can, will the biopsy hurt afterwards? will i be able to wear my denture again right after? I couldn't imagine going more then a few minutes not wearing it.

Jenn,

Everyone is different so we can't answer those questions. It's best just to get it done so you can put away the worry...nothing else matters other then finding out if you have cancer or not my dear.

Eric

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.

By the by...I didn't feel my biopsy, it really was no big deal, but then again I didn't have dentures either.

Last edited by EricS; 04-26-2011 06:13 PM.

Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Jenn,

Everyone is right on the money about this, nothing you can do from here but get the biopsy taken care of. They numb the area, do what they have to do and put you on soft foods and vicodin for about 6 hours. But then again mine was fast,aggressive and extremely painful so the biopsy was a walk in the park.

Your Friend,
Nate

SCC left lateral tongue, left neck dissection. 2 nodes positive. 3 All Clear then ITS BACK 8/23/11 Shows 1cm in tongue in CT SCAN, Radial Free Arm Flap with Radical Neck Dissection 9/20/11 , All Nodes Negative, But Tongue Tumor Poorly Differentiated. Awaiting next step in treatment on 10/5/11... RIP Nate 7/28/12
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Hi Jenn!

Im glad you have found this site to help to ease your mind. Your dentist can not tell by visually looking at something if it is cancer. Of course they should be familiar with what doesnt look right in your mouth. It just makes me curious, if you have had this sore for a year and a half why wasnt this noticed earlier by your dentist? Regardless of the answer to that question you need to see an oral surgeon or an ENT to get a biopsy so you will know for sure what it is. Its a good possibility that it is just scar tissue from when you had your teeth removed and began wearing dentures.

A biopsy isnt a big deal. Some people will get it done while under anesthesia, some will just have a numbing shot and some will just deal with the quick snip without anything. Ive had it done all 3 ways. If I have to do it again, I would choose to have a quick snip taken and be done with it. The size of the piece that is snipped is as big as a crumb, its only about this big * . It really isnt that bad. Of course you will be a bit sore afterwards, you will get thru it!

Do yourself a huge favor and dont sweat it. At this point you really dont have to be making yourself nuts with worry. I know its easier said than done. Cancer is a thief and will steal your time and at this time it is only a possibility not a reality that you have it. If you sit and calmly think over your situation you will understand. Once the results come back and either you have oral cancer or you dont. If (and that is a huge IF) you have oral cancer then you will make a plan and deal with it. Right now keep yourself busy so you dont worry so much.

Good luck and I hope you do not need this forum! If you do we are here!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
OP Offline

Thank you! You are all very helpful! I havent been to a dentist since i got my teeth pulled. I just now got insurance again and that's why it wasn't noticed before.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users