Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#125471 11-30-2010 08:43 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
OP Offline

I had a very enjoyable Thanksgiving this past Thursday. My son-in-law wanted to do the turkey this year finally relieving me of my duties with the big yard bird. As most here, I have trouble with the white meat parts of all yard birds I have tried to date so imagine my complete and utter shock and surprise (and my families) that I was able to eat and enjoy turkey breast for the first time since the end of treatments.

The recipe he followed is one from Alton Brown, link here.

Doing a bit more research, the trick appears to be the brining step so I found another quick brine recipe, here.

Haven't tried the latter yet, but I have a new found excitement.

Kevin

18 YEAR SURVIVOR
SCC Tongue (T3N0M0) diag 06/2006.
No evidence of disease 2010
Another PET 12-2014 pre-HBO, still N.E.D.

�Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. It matters that you don't just give up.�
Stephen Hawking

Kevin:
Your recipe(s) sound great. I have one suggestion for either recipe or for baking turkey's, chicken, etc. Buy some cheese-cloth (Walmart fabric dept, or fabric store. When you're ready to put the bird in the oven for it's final cooking, completely wrap the cheese cloth around it, with melted butter poured over all, and you will not believe the look of the bird when you remove the cheese cloth. It'll look like something from a magazine, beautiful golden color. When I cook a turkey, I do this, and everyone just wants to "look" at the bird because it's such a beautiful color. I have to start carving myself, or others will just look and OOH, AAH, etc.
julieann

Julieann
Nov 2007 SCC on right tonsil following tonsillectomy. Was smoker, QUIT. (Stage IV T2 N2b) 7 weeks radiation one day/wk chemo (carboplatin and 5-FU). Allergic to Taxol; PEG in, lost 30 lbs. TX completed January 2008. PEG out mid- 2008. PET/CT 1/17/2011;2/3/12 NEGATIVE for cancer smile
OP Offline

Great tip Julieann !

More butter....YUM !! smile

Thanks !

18 YEAR SURVIVOR

�Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. It matters that you don't just give up.�
Stephen Hawking
OP Offline

Though I'd bump this back up since turkey day is fast approaching !

[quote=Kevin - Memphis]I had a very enjoyable Thanksgiving this past Thursday. My son-in-law wanted to do the turkey this year finally relieving me of my duties with the big yard bird. As most here, I have trouble with the white meat parts of all yard birds I have tried to date so imagine my complete and utter shock and surprise (and my families) that I was able to eat and enjoy turkey breast for the first time since the end of treatments.

The recipe he followed is one from Alton Brown, link here.

Doing a bit more research, the trick appears to be the brining step so I found another quick brine recipe, here.

Haven't tried the latter yet, but I have a new found excitement.

Kevin
[/quote]

c'est si bon

18 YEAR SURVIVOR

Stephen Hawking

Well for those who can not get the "real" turkey down, I coaxed Ron into letting me make one of those OnCor Turkey and Gravy family dinners before I left to go to my brothers for dinner(Ron don't go never has in 13 yrs)and I came home after 10PM found him sound asleep as I was well beyond tired myself. This morning he told me he had eaten first one piece of bread with some of it, went and rested for a minute came back to eat 2 more pcs of bread with lotsa butter and he finished it! He ate the whole dinner by himself and was able to slide that pressed turkey or whatever it is down!! Woo hoo another thing to put on our list of able to eat foods! Yay!
He said though he couldn't get the pumpkin pie down...that's odd cuz it's like smooth, wonder if it was the crust. I'll check it out tonight while I'm home.

CG to Ron
Out of Pain 4/3/13
4/12-lung and under chin growth no treatment
1/13/12 lung biopsy
6/11 recur 6/30 resection #2 Clear margins
Clear 12/10
Surg 5/13/10 neck dis/nodes part gloss/flap R thigh all teeth out
RAD 30 8/10
DX 4/2/10 "Oral Cavity" T3NOMO
12/28/07 Non Hodg Lymph remission 7/08
passed away 4.3.15, RIP Ron, you are greatly missed

Link Copied to Clipboard