Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi Folks! I am one and a half years post-treatment and, with the exception of dry/sore mouth and some difficulty swallowing food without liquids, I am doing well. I have been taking pretty good care of my teeth, but last week my dentist recommended that I have two wisdom teeth removed. I saw the oral surgeon today and we talked about the risk of osteonecrosis and the need for hyperbaric treatment and I almost started crying. It feels like it did when I was first diagnosed nearly two years ago: scared and helpless. I wanted to put this cancer stuff behind me, but now I am facing months of treatment, worry, and risk. In between my regular cleaning when I was told I'd need the wisdom teeth extracted and today's appointment with the oral surgeon, I saw my radiation oncologist, who said he would prefer that I didn't have the teeth extracted. They are not bothering me, but the oral surgeon said today that they will, he is 100% certain that they will get infected and potentially damage the nearby teeth, which are healthy now - teeth and gums. He says if we wait and I get an infection, we will be behind the 8-ball. He'd rather extract now before infection - well, not now but after 20 sessions of hyperbaric treatment. He says that in his 32 years, he has not had any patient who underwent hyperbaric treatment go on to develop osteonecrosis. Are the chances that good that I won't? My oncologist says the risk is always there. Is there anything I can do to improve my chances of not getting osteonecrosis once the teeth are extracted? Should I get a second opinion? I live two hours from Boston and though I went through surgery and treatment closer to home (Bay State Medical Cancer Program in Springfield) and was very satisfied with them, I did get a second opinion at Dana-Farber back then. I am tempted to seek a second opinion again. At the Head and Neck Cancer ward at Dana-Farber there are dentists. I assume that they deal with this all the time? I wonder if they would take a look and make their recommendations? Sorry for the rant and the questions. I'd love to hear from people, especially success stories, people in my situation who made it through dental extractions post treatment with no osteonecrosis. -Michelle

Last edited by Michelle Ann; 11-12-2012 02:26 PM.

SCC left tonsil, stage IV, HPV+, metastatic to one lymph node. Biopsy 12/23/10; tonsillectomy 1/13/11; DX 1/25/11; Peg in 1/28/11. Peg out 6/29. TX 1/31/11-3/21/11: 35 IMRT plus 3 Cisplatin. Pet-Scan 6/20/11 = CLEAR! Three years out, learning to live with the long-term side effects of radiation while reminding myself to feel blessed.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

A second opinion is always a smart move. Im a pro at doing HBO, Ive dont 125 of them over a couple year time frame.

What you are asking isnt possible to give, a guarantee of never having a future issue. There isnt a doctor or dentist in the world who could predict that you would never have osteoradionecrosis even if you did the HBO.

It really isnt a big deal to do HBO. Its just time consuming. It doesnt hurt at all and it will make you feel much better. Maybe it was that I got extra sleep while doing the dives, but I found them to be very helpful. Dont be surprised if you will need to have tubes put in your ears prior to doing the HBO. Its not a big deal, a simple out patient surgery that your ENT probably can do.

Any questions you have about HBO, please ask.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
OP Offline

Thanks, Christine. Tubes in my ears? Are they put in once and then taken out when extraction/treatment is over? Or do they come in and out for each session? Yeah, you're right: no one can assure me that I won't develop osteonecrosis. I was just hoping for some stats to carry with me, xx% of patients who undergo blah blah blah.... LOL I know that I will be able to face this turn in the road, just need some time to digest it. I am jealous of cancer survivors who say that they can go a long time without thinking about their cancer experience. My mouth is so still compromised, I am reminded of my cancer every morning when I wake up and every time I eat. But I am here, I know. And I am grateful. I am. -Michelle

SCC left tonsil, stage IV, HPV+, metastatic to one lymph node. Biopsy 12/23/10; tonsillectomy 1/13/11; DX 1/25/11; Peg in 1/28/11. Peg out 6/29. TX 1/31/11-3/21/11: 35 IMRT plus 3 Cisplatin. Pet-Scan 6/20/11 = CLEAR! Three years out, learning to live with the long-term side effects of radiation while reminding myself to feel blessed.

Its a once and done thing. You get them put in, do your HBO and usually they fall out themselves. If not the ENT can easily remove them during an office visit. So they are no big deal to get.

Sorry, Im not much of a stats person. Im living on borrowed time so I cant pay attention to the numbers. I just know there arent very many 3 timers out there and Im darn happy to be one of them smile

Sorry you have to do this with your teeth! Better to take care of them before you develop a problem. Its much easier to handle it now without any complications going on.

Good luck!!!

Christine
Clear PET 1/08
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
3wks medicly inducd coma
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
OC 3x in 3 years
OP Offline

You are an inspiration. Thanks for all your help. From the start, you've been there for me, for so many of us. -Michelle

"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

I have three impacted wisdom teeth. I used to be bothered occasiounally when I had a bit of sinus stuff going on.. stuffy nose etc... but I have never had them removed and they haven't bothered me in years. I wouldn't let the man do it. especially if your RO says no. HBO is great but I wouldn't risk my jaw unneccessarily.
if they aren't bothering you leave them. at least until you have had more time to heal.hugs!

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Michelle,

I'm exactly in your shoes here. I have a tooth that the dentist wants to extract, he says he can "patch" it for now but fears it eventually needs to come out especially to help the other teeth out.

I don't know what to do, it's not bothering me so I kinda want to leave it alone but then again I don't want to go through unnecessary pain by letting it go. I'm so conflicted.

Christine- do you know if I already have a hole in my eardrum how that will affect HBO dives?

Dx 3/27/09 @ 28 years old with High Grade MEC T4N2M0
Elizabeth, 33, mother of 3 girls (4,7, &8yrs old)
3 rds of chemo(Carbo/Taxol)
Rt Mandibulectomy, rt fibular flap,& rt ND with trach, picc,& g-tube.
30 rds of rads with weekly cisplatin
SCANS ALL CLEAR!
OCF Regional Coordinator of San Antonio Walk

Michelle, My husband is on his way as I type this to his oral surgeon. He has a root canal that failed and now is facing an extraction. He knows he has to have the HBO dives first but still wants to talk to the oral surgeon to see if having the tooth pulled can be avoided (me rolling my eyes). John also has 2 wisdom teeth that bother him at times but the oral surgeon does not recommend having them pulled as he feels it could potentially lead to more problems. I guess we will wait and see what happens at today's appointment.

PS - John is 3 1/2 years out of treatment and I know what you mean about never really being completely "over it". Hugs. Wanda

Wanda (47) caregiver to husband John (56) age at diag.(2009)
1-13-09 diagnosed Stage IV BOT SCC (HPV+)
2-12-09 PEG placed, 7-6-09 removed
Cisplatin 7 weeks, 7 weeks (35) IMRT
4-15-09 - treatment completed
8-09,12-09-CT Scans clear, 4-10,6-11-PET Scans clear
4-2013 - HBO (30 dives) tooth extraction
10-2019 - tooth extraction, HBO (10 dives)
11-2019 - Left lateral tongue SCC - Stage 2

Elizabeth, sorry Im not sure if the hole in your eardrum would be something that would be affected by HBO. When going 'down' you must clear your ears so they pop or it could cause them to rupture. By having tubes in your ears that is a tiny hole to allow air to go in there so they wont 'pop' when going 'down'. Sorry, its a little hard to explain. When I say going "down' that means when the technician is slowly building the pressure in the tank its similar to how many feet you go down under water. If you cant clear your ears there is significant pain which is why many places insist on having tube put in to avoid any possibility for any problems with clearing your ears. Having that hole could actually be a benefit for when you do HBO as it is doing the same thing as a tube would be doing by allowing air to get in there. Best people to ask would probably be the doctor or technician at the HBO facility.

Christine
Clear PET 1/08
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
3wks medicly inducd coma
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
OC 3x in 3 years
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

I suggest getting your eyes checked too if possible before HBO. My husband had one extraction and one root canal and then due I think largely to NO follow-up with the first oral surgeon and getting an infection even with HBO having about a month later he had second oral surgery session (with a new and much better oral surgeon) had another extraction of the tooth with the root canal and the tooth in front of it. He had a total of 118 two hour dives and three teeth pulled. Almost a year later, he still has a hole in jaw, but much smaller than it was.

He kept telling the HBO doctor he was going blind and the doctor kept saying it would get better when he was out of the HBO for 6 weeks or so. He finally finished HBO after 118 dives and still could hardly see 2 months later. He finally agreed to see an eye doctor and he really was blind � major cataracts. He could see fine pre-HBO. Apparently accelerating cataract growth is a relatively rare, but possible side effect of HBO treatment. None of the doctors, dentists etc. seemed to be aware of this or certainly didn�t tell us this. We presume he probably had immature cataracts at the start of the HBO, but was blind by the end 20/200 one eye, 20/400 the other eye. Cataracts have now been repaired and he sees fine again, but it was a shock to be blind.

Good news is that at almost 6 years he is still cancer free!

Barbara S
C/G to Michael age 64, stage 1 base of tongue SC cancer and a stage one for a couple lymph nodes, diagnosed 09/12/06, IMRT radiation 10/24/06 to 12/05/06 , last PET / CT scan 11/7/11 - still cancer free!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users