Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

I'm recovering from a mandibulectomy for about 2 months now- no other treatment needs (no rads/chemo). I'm still on oxycodone to manage the pain.

My question is: how long does it take to not have this type of pain anymore? I really don't know what to expect in terms of how long it will last. Some days are better than others... Also, i had external beam radiation about 10 years ago (1st diagnosis) so I have the usual long lasting effects from that radiation as well.

I know everyone is different but i'd like to have some context. thank you.

Last edited by lola7172; 01-28-2016 03:42 PM.

Age 44. Diagnosed at 34 (2006) with T1N0 SCC tongue on right side. Neck dissed & 6 weeks Radiation. 30% tongue removed. Never smoked;
2nd recurrence 1/2013 on left side. Surgery to remove 2/2013 forearm flap/neck dissec T1N0; brachytherapy 4/2013;
3rd recurrence 11/2015 mandibulectomy for jaw bone cancer Stage IV/no lymph node involvement
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

After my mandibulectomy, I was in agony when I woke up. It was the worst pain Ive ever had in my life. I feel so bad to read you are going thru something similar. I remember the pain as it would be so bad at times Id be walking across the room and it felt like I was stabbed with a knife and I was stopped in my tracks unable to move even one foot until it subsided. I think it was a good 10 months until these stabbing pain episodes started to become noticeably less. I wish with all my heart for you do better than I did with your pain management during recovery.

The surgery is a major one where nerves can be involved causing considerable pain. After 2 months of recovery, you still have a ways to go. Your swelling should be down quite a bit but it will still take months for it to completely heal and the inflammation to subside. Of course everyone is different and your surgery could be far different than what I went thru or the other mandibulectomy patients I know. My doc explained to my it takes a full year to recover from this major operation. It involves so much intricate work that it takes healing so long. When you throw into the mix rads then it further makes healing more difficult. Some patients end up doing HBO to help with healing after going thru rads. If you havent already tried some nerve pain, maybe that cold help? I used gabapentin, AKA neurontin. Ask your doc if that would help and if so to write you a script.

Hope this help. Best wishes with your continuing recovery.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

My Boyfriend went through the same thing last July. He has been getting along fairly well, still a lot of pain tho. He's on a fentanly patch, Ibuprofen, hydrocodone and lidocaine. None of it seems to help much - about every three hours he's in agony again. About three weeks ago the right side of his face started swelling - he was put on prednizone and given an antibiotic for 5 days, I believe it was cephalexin. His face is still swollen, red, the skin has gotten hard and nobody seems to think it's a big deal except us. We're wondering if it isn't cellulitis. The pain is ridiculous mad confused . I'm so frustrated and think he should be on more antibiotics, I think there is an infection somewhere going on. Has anyone else gone through this??

Susie
"DIFFICULT ROADS OFTEN LEAD TO BEAUTIFUL DESTINATIONS"
Boyfriend and Best Friend diagnosed with stage 4, well differentiated SCC. Tumor in the jawbone area
53 years old, great health, never smoked or chewed tobacco
July 2016 - Mandibular reconstruction / Fibula flap
tumor removed and 4+ Lymph nodes
August 2016 - 6 weeks of daily radiation / 2 sessions of Chemo

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912