Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
terrib Offline OP
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Senior Member (100+ posts)

After 2 surgeries and now facing radiation which one doctor said my husband's rare cancer does not respond well to radiation and the oncologist saying it responds as well as any other cancer (definitely not true from all the reading I have done)I am trying all sensible healthy ideas to beat this cancer and still planning on doing radiation but have switched doctors. I would love to hear your ideas on alternative methods like the tea, no sugar, lots of raw veggies, detox. ect.

Husband diagnosed Oct '11 Cancer of the vocal cord Nov '11 removed right vocal cord. Neck Dissection, cancer in one node, .2, very small & contained) Jan '12 Radiation and Cisplatin, 6 doses. June '12 & Dec '12 clear Pet scan. April '13 Celebrating 1 year cancer free since treatment ended.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Terri, unfortunately the only cures for oral cancer of any type are surgery, radiation with or without chemo. These are the tried and true things that will get rid of the cancer. While these are not easy treatments, they are proven to be successful. Please use the utmost caution when considering anything besides surgery, radiation with or without chemo. If your husband is not being treated at a large cancer center, I would suggest you get to one ASAP to give him the very best chance.

Of course a healthy diet is best for everyone. On the internet you will find a million claims for all kinds of things to help cure cancer. These are just that CLAIMS. So many people are scared and willing to try anything to help cure their cancer.

NCI Cancer Centers

National Comprehensive Cancer Network

US News Top Cancer Hospitals

Last edited by ChristineB; 02-05-2012 08:30 AM.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

terrib

Since you are planning on doing the radiation, certainly eating a healthy diet is a good thing. We've had a lot of discussion here on OCF about diets and various books on diet and cancer.
Personally my wife and I had a very strict no sugar diet for over 20 years (and I mean strict: no sugar substitutes and shopping in organic stores)and we found it to be very healthy although it did not prevent me from getting cancer.
Your use of the word "alternative" is worrisome, and I echo Christine's cautionary words that there is NO alternative to radiation, chemo and/or surgery (except death).
Unfortunately, the Internet is full of bogus promises on the wondrous almost magical results of various "alternatives".
For what it is worth, I have never seen any study or article indicating any harmful effects from not eating sugar, eating raw veggies, and drinking tea . I'm skeptical about detox claims or "magic" teas (like essiac or other frauds). But eating an alternative diet to fast food, fatty food, fried food, junk food, does have demonstrable health results.
Even now, I make sure to have one ultra healthy meal in my Vitamix to supplement the canned nutrients as there is no substitute for fresh healthy food.
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Agreed - definitely do the standard treatment, but health wise I am all for no suger, no white flour, modified cornstarch glucose fructose, I eat primarily organic, and for me little or no animal product. My protein supplement is all plant based, and non soy. And the only thing I do have is a bit of cheese. I did this of course in conjunction with standard treatment - I think diet makes a big difference... Detoxing? Not my thing - I would be careful - ask your dietician. I gave up sugar and am very careful about the products I buy... no added sugar is important but mostly I buy fresh unprocessed foods and foods n their natural state was much more palatable during and after treatment, the more chemicals and crap in it the worst it tasted. Good luck!

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23