Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#119322 07-12-2010 06:30 PM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hi All! My family and I are at a loss of what to do. My sister has sent out her renewal papers for her insurance in March which was due in April. Even though she did this her insurance has been cancelled as of June 30th. They did not send us any letters and it is stated in their computer system that they recieved her papers but somehow it was never renewed. Now they want her to reapply with could take up to 3 months to do so. Right now she is due for radiation. She should have started it this week and we can't get her in because the dr's here will not take her without an approval. My family and I have been trying so hard to ressolve this issue but to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions to help us? I am so upset that these people could do this to a person when we have done everything right. It is so upsetting to know that my sister is not getting the treatment she needs right now because of this. Thanks for any help!

Last edited by Susan3175; 07-12-2010 06:36 PM.

CG to Sister (42). Smoker quit @ diagnosis Dx 4/20/10 SCC T2N0M0, Rside of tongue Hemigloss R neck dis, all nodes removed 6/2/10, Trach and NG in, home 6/8/10,8/18/2010 start erbitux x6, 30 IMRT end 10/11/10 with only 3x erbitux due to reaction and one week off of rads
1/10/2011 Clear PET!!!
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

I would suggest your sister call the hospital/facility where she is getting care and ask to speak with a social worker. The social worker should be able to help figure out a plan and hopefully will advocate for her directly with the insurance company. If they do not have a social work department, she can try calling the American Cancer Society and see if they can help her sort this out. As a last resort, she can try going to the local newspaper/TV station and see if they will put her story out there and embarrass/guilt the insurance company into action.

I'm so very sorry you are all having to go through this.

CG to spouse, tonsillar SCC, T2N0M0, tonsillectomy 9/06, 35 rad tx finished 12/06, no chemo. Positive PET 3/07 in tonsillar fossa (residual tumor), surgery 4/2/07 composite resection tonsillar fossa and BOT w/forearm graft and right ND.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

If they force her to reapply, they may turn her down or not cover for pre-existing condition. This has to be reinstated. If you can't this resolved shortly, I'd get a lawyer and/or call the insurance commsion in your state to find out how to get this resolved quickly and file a complaint.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Move up the chain at the insurance company just keep asking for the next one above whoever you are speaking. The words they all fear is "Bad Faith Claim" use it everytime you speak with them. That means that they should have paid a claim and didn't or in this case they played with her renewal. If a claim goes to court and the company is found to have not acted in good faith then not only is the claim paid but they are always hit for huge additional amounts as a penatly.
Never yell just keep telling your story if that doesn't work get an attorney!

55 12/17/09 High Grade Muceopidermoid Carcinoma Alerted by Largo my Mini Schnauzer
1/18/10 Clr PET
1/27/10 Surgery found Perineural invasion
3/22/10 Began Rad
05/05/10 34 rads
8/19/10 Clr Pet Scan
12/13/10 Clr Ultra sound/biopsy
5/4/11 MRI Clear
8/2/11 All Clear
5/25/12 All Clear
6/3/2016 All Clear
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Thanks for the suggestions. I have called the surgeons social worker who refered me to the hospital social worker. They are trying to get a letter from the insurance company that her insurance will be reinstated and then we can move on with treatment. We are also going to our lawyer tomorrow just in case, to see what our other options would be. We also called the insurance and cancelled her aplication that they told her to fill out last week. Thanks so much for your imput. Hopefully this will be taken care of and done tomorrow. She is week 6 post surgery and I know should be having her radiation treatment starting this week. It is so frustrated that these people can hault her treatment without a care in the world.

CG to Sister (42). Smoker quit @ diagnosis Dx 4/20/10 SCC T2N0M0, Rside of tongue Hemigloss R neck dis, all nodes removed 6/2/10, Trach and NG in, home 6/8/10,8/18/2010 start erbitux x6, 30 IMRT end 10/11/10 with only 3x erbitux due to reaction and one week off of rads
1/10/2011 Clear PET!!!

As Seda mentioned, "keep telling your story". This is also known as the "broken record method" and often does work. It is also a good idea to be friendly and appreciative with office staff, nurses, etc. or anyone connected to the surgeon or others in charge of treating your sister. Get their names so you can address them personally or mention them favorably to others. Impress upon them the urgency of continuing treatment and how concerned you are. A few tears may even help as well. Ask if there is any way at all that treatment can be established or continued. When my son was undergoing treatment, he had no health insurance, no job and in the middle of divorce. One of the nice assistants at the office put us in touch with a drug company that provided free meds based on need and suitability. The hospital set up a payment plan where we could pay a very nominal amount to each department billing us, some as low as $5 or $10 a month! There are people who do care and when they see how sincere and concerned you are, they will help or will point the way to those that can help.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Hi Susan - My husband is retired from the insurance business but he suggested, if you are not getting help from the above, you should call the state insurance commissioner. He said just Google the insurance commissioner for your state and find a contact to inform of this problem...then tell your story. Let us know what they say. Best of luck.

Husband: 3 SCC gum and cheek cancers 2002, 2005, 2006: surgery only. Scans clear after removal of small, well differentiated, non-invasive cancers. No radiation. 4th SCC lip diagnosed 4/13/07 - in situ, removed in biopsy. More lip removed 2/8/08 - dysplasia. 2 Biopsies 3/17/09 no cancer (lichenoids)

I am currently in the insurance business. Absolutely contact Ins commissioner. You must do (and should document) all steps with Insurance company. It helps to copy the insurance commisioner (acrually put the cc at the bottom of your letters to the Ins Company. That will get them moving. State in your letters what you want and when you expect a reply. (part of the necessary documentation. The Commissioner will open an investigation nad the ins company has ten days to respond to him/her. It is also free whereas an attorney would not be. You can always use an attorney later if necessary, but I doubt that will be needed.
The insurance commisioner has the power to forbid an insurance company from operating in your state. That is what gets them moving right away.
Keep at it.
regards,
Chris

Last edited by chrisclu; 03-16-2011 12:58 PM.

Stage 4 squamous cell tonsil cancer. Two lymph nodes involved surgically removed before source found to be tonsil. Implant radiation right on tonsil, regular mask radiation therapy for two months and a final Implant radiation. All clear confirmed by PET scans for 6 years.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23