Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#37 05-20-2002 03:50 PM
OP Offline

I am taking a Death and Illness in America class in college, and each student has an illness to make a portfolio on. The illness I must relate to, as though I am going through the diagnosis, treatments, etc, is Oral Cancer. I have been given a diagnosis of malignant sqamous cell
carcinoma of my mouth. I have been told that my cancer is metastatic, it has spreadto my jaw bone. I do not know where to start, and I thought that maybe someone can help me. I have done a lot of research but I do not know what a person goes through, emotionally or physically. It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.....

#38 05-21-2002 02:18 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Leggsy........Well, you came to the right place! You'll find a wealth of information for your project just by going back and reading many of the previous posts. Also, if you go back to the Home Page and Click on People you'll find some very interesting personal stories there. You might want to read Larry's journal; not only is it informative, it is just good reading. I think then you'll be able to ask us some very specfic questions and at that point too, you'll have a better understanding of how oral cancer affects a person on all levels: physically, emotionally, intellectually, and spritually. We all have a story to tell! I, for one, would be more than happy to assist you with your project. Please feel free to e-mail me at any time. Good luck with your project! Sincerely, Donna

SCC first time 1989, with a diagnoses of 'cancer in situ' removed lesion, no other treatments.
SCC recurrence 1997 of tongue and floor of the mouth. Stage III /IV Hemmiglossectomy (removed over 60% of tongue/ floor of the mouth), free flap, modified neck, RAD and Chemo(cisplatin, 5fu) simutainously.
Cancer free 6, yes, six, years!
#39 05-21-2002 10:31 AM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Leggsy, As Donna stated, read this entire site. You will get more first hand information here than probably any other Oral Cancer site. We are all family on this forum and help each other out. If you want more information, please email me direct. I hope your project is successful. People need to be more aware of Oral Cancer, I wish I was before I was diagnosed. Take care.

Anne.

Anne G.Younger
Life has never been better.
#40 05-21-2002 04:53 PM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Leggsy,
I also think you have come to the right place! This website is so informative and full of people who have first hand experience. I am not a survivor, but caregiver/family member. If I can help at all, please let me know. Email questions or post here! Lots of luck on your project.....you will come out of this experience a different person, guaranteed. I'm sure in some way or another, it will change you.
Good luck.
Brooke

Hope is the one thing no one can take away from you!!!
#41 05-22-2002 02:24 AM
vb Offline

Leggsy15,
My mother is currently recovering from the exact thing you are talking about. She had surgery in February for removal of more than 1/2 of her tongue, part of the floor of her mouth and her right mandible which was replaced by a titanium plate. Let me know if I can be of any assistance and good luck on your project.

Vince
#42 05-25-2002 08:45 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hi Leggsy..........Just wondering how your school project on Oral Cancer is coming along? Being an Oral Cancer surivior this site has been a godsend for me! I hope you found all the information you were looking for, and if you ever need additional information, please don't hesitate to email me directly. SIncerely, Donna

SCC first time 1989, with a diagnoses of 'cancer in situ' removed lesion, no other treatments.
SCC recurrence 1997 of tongue and floor of the mouth. Stage III /IV Hemmiglossectomy (removed over 60% of tongue/ floor of the mouth), free flap, modified neck, RAD and Chemo(cisplatin, 5fu) simutainously.
Cancer free 6, yes, six, years!
#43 05-26-2002 04:18 AM

Leggsy, You posted a personal reply to me, but for some reason your profile is set up that I cannot post back to you. Please send me your email address at [email protected]. Looking forward to helping you out ASAP.

Anne.

Anne G.Younger
Life has never been better.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37