Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#185 07-26-2002 06:32 PM
Donna Offline OP
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hi Netty.........Just thinking of you and wondering how everything turned out with your surgery. I know you may not be feeling well enough to even respond to this message and that is OK. Mostly I just wanted you to know that we are here thinking of you and sending good thoughts your way! You are not forgotten! Sincerely, Donna

SCC first time 1989, with a diagnoses of 'cancer in situ' removed lesion, no other treatments.
SCC recurrence 1997 of tongue and floor of the mouth. Stage III /IV Hemmiglossectomy (removed over 60% of tongue/ floor of the mouth), free flap, modified neck, RAD and Chemo(cisplatin, 5fu) simutainously.
Cancer free 6, yes, six, years!
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hi all,

Sorry it took a while to get back online. I'm doing fabulous.

My surgery was very successful...they removed over 1/2 of my tongue and all of my lymph nodes. 1 lymph node was chock full of cancer, and 2 others showed a few positive cells. Other than that nothing else was cancerous. They took 2 hours extra to make everything look just right, and it paid off. My new tongue is beautiful, and there will hardly be any scars on my face or neck. I really have to hand it to my doctors...they were awesome!!

My arm was the donor site for the tongue, and I'm getting more and more use back in it each day. I can type normally now, and that's why I am back online. I was told today the arm skin graft took 100% so it will be fine. My leg looks awesome and doesn't bother me one bit.

I'm healing very fast...they only kept me in the hospital 9 days, and every time the docs see me they can't believe the progress. My trach was taken out before I came home, and I'm talking better now than before the surgery. I also can drink fine and am able to eat a little.

My biggest fear right now is going back to radiation. I start chemo and rad again in mid-August, and am worried about side effects. I am doing so well now and just don't want to go backwards due to the treatments.

Thanks for all of the good thoughts and prayers from everyone...they really helped me alot.

I'll keep everyone updated on my progress.

I survived because I kept hope alive!!! Live, laugh, love and keep fighting hard.
Jeanette
Stage 3 oral cancer...over 60% of tongue and all lymph nodes on right side removed...July 2002.
Chemo and Radiation...ended September 2002.
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Hey fighter, glad to hear things are going so well. Continue to be strong and upbeat. If you need to vent you know where to fine us. Take care and my thoughts are with you in the coming weeks. Please keep us posted. Anne.

Anne G.Younger
Life has never been better.

Netty.......
reading your post post made my day!! Congrats! Keep up the good work and keep kicking butt,
girl!
Brooke

Hope is the one thing no one can take away from you!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23