Posted By: Geri One year ago today - 01-05-2010 01:42 AM
Hi All,
Even though I don't post much anymore, I always check the forums to see what's going on. Last year, Richard started treatments and all hell broke loose. The anti-nausea meds he was given with his first chemo didn't work and he was violently ill the first night. That was the beginning of our journey with me running back to the pharmacy for Zofran and Ativan, which luckily worked well for him. It was the start of the nightmare roller coaster that didn't really begin to subside until a few weeks after treatment ended. I know all the caregivers will understand the flashback I'm having this year. The sleepless nights, listening for any sounds from him, but still trying to sleep. All the crying done in the car, shower, etc. trying not to let him see and remaining upbeat. The 24/7 stress. I should have received an award for head cheerleader!
And now here we are today, back to work, hiking, all our normal activities and so thankful for each day. The elephant in the room has gotten a bit bigger recently, a reminder of what we went through in 2009. In early March, Richard will have an MRI. That will be a little over one year from completion of treatment. So far all his exams have been fine and the doctors are very pleased with his recovery. The RO even commented on the how well his throat has healed. So no complaints from me, only thanks to all of you on this website for all your ideas, help and support. Geri
Posted By: wallyswife Re: One year ago today - 01-05-2010 02:26 AM
So nice to hear life is good for you and Richard, may it continue for many years to come. Thanks for checking in and cheering us all up.
Posted By: Cookey Re: One year ago today - 01-05-2010 12:53 PM
A lovely success story Geri.

Much love liz
Posted By: wilckdds Re: One year ago today - 01-05-2010 01:14 PM
Wishing you and Richard continued good news in 2010.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: One year ago today - 01-05-2010 02:01 PM
Geri,

Was he ever tested for HPV?

Posted By: Geri Re: One year ago today - 01-05-2010 03:17 PM
David,
No, Richard was never tested. When I mentioned it to the doctors, the only comments were that they don't routinely test for HPV and the treatment would still be the same. They didn't seem to be interested in the causes, only the treatment plan and making sure he completed it. As more research is done, perhaps the procedures will change. Is it becoming clear that HPV responds better to treatment? What is the percentage of oropharynx SCC that would be caused from HPV? The only symptom Richard had was the one swollen node on his neck. Nothing else could be seen or felt until he went in for the biopsy and then it was so small the Dr had to really search for it. I know the Dr was very relieved to find the Primary, so the treatment could be really personalized for Richard. Actually if HPV means a better result, maybe I would rather not know just in case he should be HPV- I think if you're a former smoker and did drink, the doctors assume you fit the profile, even though you quit 30yrs previous to diagnosis. It seems to me that the oral SCC would be the common area for HPV+ instead of oropharynx. Any thoughts on this? Thanks for all your responses....Geri
Posted By: slim Re: One year ago today - 01-05-2010 04:17 PM
Hi Geri. So glad to hear things are going so well for both of you. We followed similar paths just a few months after you. Continued good health and happiness to each of you. Every day truly is a gift.
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: One year ago today - 01-05-2010 06:23 PM
That is wonderful news Geri. It makes me so happy to hear that you are both moving on with your lives and enjoying them:)
Posted By: davidcpa Re: One year ago today - 01-05-2010 10:38 PM
Geri,

Studies so far have concluded that SCC of the Oropharynx region (includes BOT and Tonsils) test positive for HPV appx 70% of the time. It is very rare to find HPV in other oral SCC's.

Yes I quit smoking (about 1/3 pack a day) 35 years pre Dx and I drank socially.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum