Posted By: AJH Say a prayer for Dad - 04-12-2008 01:17 PM
Hello All,

Dad has his CT (diagnostic) this week. He is ready for his Tx, had all his planning and dental visits. I am hopeful that his RO is correct and that there will be no node involvement. We will meet with his RO this week to go over his test results. He will then start his Tx 04/21. Dad's getting scared, but we are are rallying behind him. Please say a prayer for him......
Posted By: wilckdds Re: Say a prayer for Dad - 04-12-2008 03:59 PM
Amanda,

He's got mine.

Wish your dad and all of your family good luck from me.

Jerry
Posted By: luvmyhubby Re: Say a prayer for Dad - 04-13-2008 01:52 AM
Added him to my prayer list :-)

Keep us posted!
Posted By: Suess57 Re: Say a prayer for Dad - 04-13-2008 09:34 AM
I'll be thinking of you both. Good luck!
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Say a prayer for Dad - 04-13-2008 08:57 PM
Amanda:

I will keep your father in my prayers.

Posted By: Dr. Mike Re: Say a prayer for Dad - 04-13-2008 09:13 PM
Amanda,
That is for certain the easiest thing I can do and I am more than happy to do it for you and your dad. I will make sure my prayer support group adds you to our prayers as well. You are certainly making your father a proud man.
My thoughts and prayers for your Dad and your continued faith and strength as a loving daughter.

Mike
Posted By: TomK Re: Say a prayer for Dad - 04-13-2008 10:19 PM
Amanda,

He will be in my prayers.
Posted By: emmylou1951 Re: Say a prayer for Dad - 04-13-2008 11:57 PM
Amanda: Both of you will be in our thoughts and prayers in the coming weeks. Keep us posted as to his progress.

Lois & Buzz in NC
Posted By: AJH Re: Say a prayer for Dad - 04-14-2008 09:18 AM
Thank you everyone....I am honoured to have become part of this "family". I will keep you posted.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Say a prayer for Dad - 04-14-2008 09:51 AM
Amanda,

Lets hope for the best.
Posted By: denise123 Re: Say a prayer for Dad - 04-15-2008 02:54 AM
Amanda,

Your both in my prayers. Stay strong and positive.

Denise
Posted By: TomK Re: Say a prayer for Dad - 04-23-2008 03:38 PM
Amanda,

How are you all doing? Did your dad start treatment? What are the treatment plans?
Posted By: AJH Re: Say a prayer for Dad - 04-23-2008 08:30 PM
Hi Tom,

Thanks for following up.....I'm quite touched that you have been checking on us - you are a very thoughtful man.

Dad started his Tx on Monday. We got his results from his CT & chest xray. We are very optimistic - no nodal involvement, nothing on the chest xray etc. In fact, the tumor (retromolar - behind wisdom teeth) didn't even show up on the CT. His Ro explained that the tumor is just on the "surface" of his skin - no "icebergs" as he called it. His Tx will remain @ 25 x IMRT. We have accomplished alot this week, Dad's booked into the "lodge" near his hospital. He's only a 10 min. drive instead of the dreadful 3-4 commute from our home. Mom & I will visit him midweek and of course he'll come home on weekend. We have a plan now and it feels good. Dad's spirits are up and he is coping pretty well - made lots of friends in the lodge. I think about him and Mom every hour, they aren't used to being apart or alone (I live another hour away from their place). But we are coping even though we are apart. Mom will hopefully be able to stay in the lodge with him when he needs her with him - maybe after his second week. It's really expensive for her to stay, $60/night - but it's the least of our worries. We will act when the time comes and she knows that I can offer her all the support, financial & otherwise as needed.

Dad's RO said his cancer is 80-90% curable - very good news. We know it's going to be tough, but I am so happy this was caught so early. I have some questions about his treatment, so I'll start a new thread under the "treatment" category. Thanks again for checking in Tom.....you're a kind soul, you put a smile on my face just knowing how much this OCF family cares.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Say a prayer for Dad - 04-23-2008 10:16 PM
Amanda:

Your dads prognosis looks good. Luckily it has been caught very early so is highly cureable. Have you called the American Cancer society about getting some help? They may be able to help with transportation costs or medications, thats what they helped me with. (I dont know if its available in Canada) You may even ask at the center your father is being treated at. There could be something out there to make it so your mom can stay with your father. Best of luck to your family.
Posted By: TomK Re: Say a prayer for Dad - 04-24-2008 09:58 AM
That is great news about your dad and that it was caught early. It is also great that he was able to stay near the hospital. The five weeks apart will be over before you know it. Having a treatment plan and starting it is also a relief. I remember how worried I was before treatment started. I had to stay two weeks in the hospital for my chemo treatment, 1st & 4th week 96 hour drips, and thought that was going to be a major problem because I have never stayed in a hospital before, but it turned out better than I thought. If he doesn't have a phone in his room or a cell phone, you may want to look into one of those pay per use cell phones, just so he know you and mom are only a phone call away.

There are a lot of caring and knowledgable people on this OCF forum. We are all in this together and we are here for each other. If we don't hear from you we come knocking!

Now that you all know there will be side effects and it may be a rough road, communicate with your doctors and keep us posted. We are all here to help. Keep the doctors posted about his pain. If or when he takes pain meds, make sure he takes a stool softner to prevent constipation. Keep the calories and nutrition up as it is important to his healing and recovery.
Posted By: luvmyhubby Re: Say a prayer for Dad - 04-24-2008 10:31 AM
Amanda I just made it over to this thread (been behind in my reading) and I am so pleased to hear the great news about your dad's prognosis!! I too am very happy that he will be able to stay at the lodge and it's wonderful to hear he has made friends. Will he eat there - like a cafeteria style or does he have to go out on his own for meals? You are your mom sound like such wonderful people and I know your dad will be needing you a lot during this time.
Posted By: Malka Re: Say a prayer for Dad - 04-25-2008 01:05 AM
Amanda,
How nice to hear that things are working out for your family in regards to the lodge. Hopefully your mother will find a way to be with your father. Even the treatment plan seems to indicate a good final result. I will have your family in mind for prayers that all goes well.
Malka
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum