Posted By: EzJim Caregiver - 02-13-2008 10:30 PM
I learned this evening why I need a caregiver. I couldn't even swallow water to take a pill . I had to run for the sink while choking to get the water out of my mouth. THat sure is a scary and helpless feeling. I guess sooner or later the rads and chemo catch up with all of us. It made me realize the things that can happen at any time. My throat feels like it is closing shut and I will tell the surgeon tomorrow morning what happened. He's the Dr doing the implants. Maybe he has some advice for future occurences.
Posted By: debandbill Re: Caregiver - 02-13-2008 10:51 PM
Jim,

That is why we are so worried about you...no one to at least be there if you have an immediate problem. I just don't know how anyone does this alone.

Please call your church or someone and see about getting someone to look after you. We all know you are tough, but everyone has their breaking point.

Hugs, Deb
Posted By: Alexants Re: Caregiver - 02-13-2008 11:15 PM
Jim, please take care of your needs by getting someone to take care of your needs... please! We don't need another hero, we need you and all of us to be well!
Posted By: Malka Re: Caregiver - 02-14-2008 12:44 AM
Jim,
I have also almost drowned myself by trying to take too much to drink at once. It is indeed terrifying. We who have trouble swallowing have to retrain ourselves to take smaller swallows of liquids just as we must take smaller bites of food.
Take care of yourself. Is there council on aging in your area? If so, they may be able to get you help. When you go in for your next treatment check out the resources there. Ask to speak with a medical social worker. Although you do not live in the same city, they may be able to help you get assistance in Barnesville.
There's been a rumor going around that Brian is looking for a new avatar for you - one that looks something like a horse with long ears!!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum