Posted By: lrwheel Liquid? - 11-25-2006 10:55 AM
In the record-keeping, how do you typically count products like Boost, Ensure, or the Carnation VHC? Do you count it as both ounces toward liquid intake as well as calories?

Thanks,

Loretta
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Liquid? - 11-25-2006 11:34 AM
I only counted the calories. On the VHC can it states that it counts as "1 unit of water". I asked my nutrition what that means and she said "not much, you still need to drink all the water we told you". I thought to myself, Oh well, I tried!
Posted By: RileyMc Re: Liquid? - 11-25-2006 12:20 PM
During the 4 1/2 months or so I lived exclusively on liquids, I only counted the calories. I could only drink the Ensure warm and it was so nasty I had to chase every glug with a glug of water, so I got plenty of liquid.
Posted By: Eileen Re: Liquid? - 11-25-2006 09:43 PM
Now that's interesting. I could only drink the Ensure Plus ice cold. Anything else was nasty tasting. Still drink a half bottle of Ensure Plus for a quick breakfast. A real breakfast was a meal I never eat except on Sundays. Water also had to be ice cold. Everything else had to be lukewarm.

Which is back to where we always are. Everyone is different. So don't give up and keep trying til you find what works for you. And if that stops working, try something else. Everyday is also different.

Take care,
Eileen

P.S. I only counted calories and protein content.
Posted By: JAM Re: Liquid? - 11-25-2006 11:06 PM
When John takes a 2CalHN [475 cals} he always chases it with 8 oz. plus of water to clean the tube- counting calories and the h2o. When he does grape juice or any juice- he counts the calories and the ozs. of juice[liquid].
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum