Posted By: Robin Okay - this is ridiculous - 07-11-2005 08:37 PM
I've been on this site for a couple of weeks now trying to get as much info to help my older sister deal with Parotid gland cancer. It's been overwhelming but this site has been so very helpful. I think we've finally got things lined up - dentist appointment for tomorrow - so she can start radiation. Now, yesterday my husband shows me a red swollen lump on the roof of his mouth. He's had a sore throat for a week and I've been bugging him to get to the doctor as my three kids all had strep not too long ago. The doctor freaked and sent him straight over to the ENT saying it was an infection that needed to be drained. The ENT (who amazingly is a collegue of the guy treating my sister) said he "thinks" it's an infection and there is a saliva gland in the roof of your mouth right there. He put my husband on high dose antibiotics and will follow up in two weeks from today. He said if it doesn't go away, he'll want to biopsy it. Now I'm freaking out! This is just too bizarre for me to even deal with. Fortunately I've read on this site over and over that it isn't cancer till the doctor says it is. I'm going to hang onto that one because I worry more than anyone I know! Any prayers would be appreciated!
Posted By: Marica Re: Okay - this is ridiculous - 07-12-2005 07:07 PM
You got them Robin!
I know its easy to say but Don`t Panic.
It`s an infection , it`s an infection , it`s an infection.
Until someone say`s it`s not.

Take Care
Marica
Posted By: Robin Re: Okay - this is ridiculous - 07-12-2005 09:02 PM
Thanks Maria! I think if I'd never been to this site it wouldn't have occured to me that it might be some type of oral cancer. But all this research is backfiring on me now! I think I've been so inundated with all this information that that was the first thing I thought! Peter says that after a day on antibiotics, he's feeling better and the lump seems to be getting a teeny bit smaller. That was encouraging because if it wasn't an infection, I don't think he'd notice any change!
Posted By: bobb131 Re: Okay - this is ridiculous - 07-12-2005 09:03 PM
Robin,

I know it is hard to believe, but coincedences to happen. The positive way to look at it is that the ENT and your family physician were both proactive and if it is something, neither of them dragged their feet on a diagnosis.

Barb
Posted By: Robin Re: Okay - this is ridiculous - 07-13-2005 03:22 PM
Marica: I apologize - I typed your name wrong. My fingers were going to fast. Thanks for the positive note Barb. I'm slowly calming down as the redness and swelling on the roof of his mouth are diminishing daily as he's on this antibiotic. I made the mistake and did a search on this site for lump on the roof of your mouth and that brought up several cases where cancer has occurred there. I just think I'm so stressed from my sisters situation that this was totally putting me over the edge. I wish I could be more like so many of the people on here and NOT worry until there's a real reason to!
Posted By: Marica Re: Okay - this is ridiculous - 07-14-2005 10:36 PM
Don`t Worry about the spelling of my name Robin I am used to it.
Pete called me Veronica for a week before I decided I liked him enough to correct it, Ha! I am so glad the INFECTION is receding.
As to us not worrying, just look at my post asking for positive vibes. We are really just con artists in sheeps clothing!
Hang in there
Marica
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum