Posted By: Anne-Marie Caregiver Stress - 08-29-2013 09:52 AM
It's been 7+ years since Paul finished Tx and was told he was "cancer-free" His life has been so much better in so many ways. He has a beautiful and loving girlfriend by his side and the love they share warms my heart every time I see them. Of course, every time something comes up health-wise, I go into the caregiver stress mode, trying not to think about cancer, but it is difficult. Paul turned 40 this year, and has been seeing doctors re sleep problems, high blood pressure, low testosterone, feeling tired and although he has managed to lose weight, he still needs to lose a little more. I've wondered whether the Rad Tx is still affecting him somehow? He's had a sleep test recently (woke up 31 times) and another one was scheduled for last night. He also has an MRI scheduled for today at 10:45am. Paul said they were looking for "tumors or aliens" in the brain. His girlfriend will be going with him for the MRI and I'll be picking up his daughter after school. I'm kind of standing by in case I'm needed and trying not to appear anxious. Does an MRI look for (or discover) other less serious things besides cancer? I guess I am looking for something positive to hang on to and keep calm.
Posted By: gmcraft Re: Caregiver Stress - 08-29-2013 12:36 PM
Dear Anne-Marie, I'm afraid I cannot answer your question about MRI's. But I wish to extend my hand to you across the ether and offer you some comfort. I truly understand how hard it is.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Caregiver Stress - 08-29-2013 12:38 PM
Has he tried a regular aerobic exercise program?
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Caregiver Stress - 08-29-2013 01:14 PM
Im very sorry to hear you are stressed by your son's health. MRIs are done for all kinds of things from knee or ankle injuries to nerve issues. Its NOT just for cancer.

Please try to stay busy while you wait for the results. It really will help pass the time easier.

Best wishes!!!

PS... What about his thyroid, has that been checked?
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: Caregiver Stress - 08-29-2013 06:51 PM
Thank you so much, Gloria and David and Christine - I am keeping busy. Had lunch with my daughter and a friend of hers and I'll be leaving in a few minutes to go pick up my granddaughter (Paul's daughter) from school . I've only communicated with Paul through text messages and he's usually very brief with answers. He said the sleep test was ok and the MRI took a lot less time than expected. He said he was very tired so I'll be taking his daughter for an after-school snack. Maybe I'll have a better idea of what's happening later.

Christine - I had asked Paul about his thyroid some time ago but I'm not sure what's happening with it now but will find out.

David - Paul does exercise some - I think it's mostly walking, though. I will have to ask him about aerobic exercise. Just coming here has really helped me to stay calm. I so appreciate OCF and everyone who comes here and really understands.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Caregiver Stress - 08-30-2013 12:53 PM
I was a Certified Aerobics instructor and taught at Bally's for a few years so tell him that seldom does walking achieve the benefits of a regular aerobic exercise program. One needs to elevate their heart rate into the "target heart rate zone" and keep it there for 30 minutes at least 3 times a week. There are many things one can do to accomplish that and there are many web sites that can tell one how to go about starting out. Certainly if he has not done something like this in a while getting his PCP's blessing would be the first place to start. I love to exercise and have been doing it ever since Dr Kenneth Cooper's first exercise book called Aerobics which was back in the 60's.

Do not expect immediate results. Do start off slow and build up. This is a lifestyle not a summer camp.
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: Caregiver Stress - 09-02-2013 12:09 AM
Thanks so much David - I've made a copy of your info and will certainly talk to Paul about it. You are certainly a great example of the benefits of exercise!
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Caregiver Stress - 09-06-2013 01:03 PM
With regards to you other question MRIs pick up a number of things smile strokes hematomas - inflammation etc... Try not to worry - it sounds a lot like sleep apnea - tired, lethargic, waking up... Hugs and good luck.
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: Caregiver Stress - 09-06-2013 10:05 PM
Thanks so much, Cheryl - Paul got the CPAP machine a couple of days ago and seems to be doing well, although he says it takes "getting used to". He said the MRI was normal and no tumors! Whew! What a relief! Life is good again!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum