Posted By: outdoortexan Could it be the money? - 06-08-2006 07:24 AM
Give me 1.5 million and I could come to the same conclusion.I wouldn't, but I could.
http://www.jointogether.org/news/research/summaries/2006/canadian-researcher-says.html
Posted By: outdoortexan Re: Could it be the money? - 06-08-2006 08:05 AM
They also have a forum on this site..... a heavily moderated forum from the looks of it. I tried to post my cancer page. I'll wait and see if it comes up. There are testimonials from people who swear by smokeless as a means to quit smoking.
But no one here thinks the 1.5 mil paid for by "that" company influenced his findings. Do they? Hmmmmmmmm. I'm guessing.. YES IT DID!!
Posted By: Mark Re: Could it be the money? - 06-08-2006 09:54 AM
Sure it is "safer" like switching from taking Arsenic to Cyanide is safer for poison......
Posted By: wilckdds Re: Could it be the money? - 06-08-2006 06:51 PM
I couldn't find an email address for the jerk, Carl Phillips, that did the "study". So I sent the following email to Jodie Sinnema, who wrote the article about the study in the Edmonton Journal.

Dear Jodie,

I wonder if you can ask Carl Phillips if he ever saw a person who had cancer from chewing tobacco. It's not a pretty sight.

1.5 million dollars from the makers of chewing tobacco to fund his work. Come on, who does he think he's kidding? The money had no influence on his work!

Sincerely,

Jerry Wilck (dentist & oral cancer survivor)

It probably won't accomplish anything, but it made me feel better.
Posted By: Mark Re: Could it be the money? - 06-08-2006 08:42 PM
Why don't they cough up $1,500,000.00 (USD) to the OCF so at least we can help the poor SOB's that actually end up with cancer after falling for this kind of marketing crap!
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Could it be the money? - 06-08-2006 10:11 PM
I spent a bit of time running around the site and was especially put off by their line-by-line rebuttals to things. I think someone (a group) here in the US should do the same thing to Rodu's and others press releases research etc. I think that if the experts were to reveal what is NOT known about spit
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Could it be the money? - 06-09-2006 11:54 PM
Two people emailed me about OCF's mission after that post. In the broadest sense it is to provide sound peer reviewed information to those who need it about this disease, to provide support through mechanisms like this board to people engaged in their own fight with OC, to advocate for the American Public the development of a sound public policy at large programs, involved institutions (federal, state, and professional or private societies), that will have an impact on the death rate from the disease, which I and the foundation's scientific board believe can be reduced dramatically through early detection programs and increasing public awareness and literacy. Please note that missions can change. But supporting scientific endeavors via research funding is not in our current mission statement because we are not financially strong enough to do so, and this is actually being done by the NIH with major financial contributions already. We are staying focused on what we have seen work in literally every cancer in which the death rate has dropped. EARLY DETECTION. Colon, prostate, cervical, breast, etc. have all been brought down significantly as killers because of early detection and EXISTING treatments. We are following a model that is a proven winner in other cancers and which is in line with the financial resources we have.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum