Posted By: Susan Lauria Oral Cancer Awareness Week/Month - 03-12-2011 06:31 PM
We tried this a couple of years ago and it's worth another try

Anyone battling this disease or caring for someone: write a story about your battle, let people know what oral cancer is, give some facts. Contact your local news media, (papers, tv stations, etc.). Find the health/medical reporter and let them know your story. Lets see if we can get these stories etc, in the publics eye.

I can help with any editing if you would like to run it by me. If we all try to get this in papers/media in our hometown, we can really make a difference.

Any thoughts or questions, let me know!! We have fact sheets I can email you.

You all have a compelling story I am sure, we have all been touched by this disease. Lets see if we can make something happen!

Thanks!!

Susan
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Oral Cancer Awareness Week/Month - 03-15-2011 01:44 AM
Susan, please email me a fact sheet. The way the media twists everything, its very important to get the correct info out. So much easier to do it right the first time than to need damage control later. Thanks!
Posted By: Susan Lauria Re: Oral Cancer Awareness Week/Month - 03-15-2011 12:53 PM
Hi Christine, I will email you the current facts sheet that I have, I am also going to check with main office to see if we an add anything else to it, such as the new HPV statistic.

check your other email, talk to you soon!

Susan
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: Oral Cancer Awareness Week/Month - 03-16-2011 04:12 AM
Susan, the fact sheet I have -- "Oral Cancer: The Facts" is dated 7/10. If you get an updated version, please send to me also.

Thanks!
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Oral Cancer Awareness Week/Month - 03-16-2011 04:25 AM
There is an updated version that speaks to the HPV issue some. It is going out to all the screening sites in April. Anyone who wants one just ask Jamie or Megan at the office to mail you a new PDF file of it.
Posted By: Susan Lauria Re: Oral Cancer Awareness Week/Month - 03-17-2011 02:35 AM
Hi Susan, I will send right now the updated version.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Oral Cancer Awareness Week/Month - 03-17-2011 03:07 AM
The walks Ive been to have this flyer printed up for the people there to take. Is this something all of the OCF events should be handing out? People need to know about this important information!
Posted By: Susan Lauria Re: Oral Cancer Awareness Week/Month - 03-17-2011 08:08 PM
Yes, all walks should have this to hand out. I email it to all of them, of course I can't be there allof the time to see that it is.
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: Oral Cancer Awareness Week/Month - 03-17-2011 10:20 PM
That is a good idea. I think I will check with the coordinator of the Chattanooga walk and see if they are planning to have handouts.
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Oral Cancer Awareness Week/Month - 03-18-2011 04:40 AM
By the way, related to oral cancer awareness month/ April we now are approaching 500 events in the one month, and still have two more weeks to fill up the calendar with more. The OCF office has had to bring in helpers to send out all the packages to the offices doing free screenings. If your dentist or ENT isn't on board, give him a call. We'd like to hit 1000 locations in one month.

http://www.oralcancer-screening.org/events/index.php?d=2011-4-01

This is what we are asking them to do:

http://oralcancerfoundation.org/events/oral-cancer-awareness-month.html
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum