Posted By: HarleyKenny Vomiting everything - 08-16-2009 02:33 AM
I can't keep anything down. I spent last weekend in the hospital because they thought I was stopped up. I was a little bit and the PEG is in the right place. This weekend I know I am not stopped up. I have switched formulas and even have been eating through the terrible pain in my mouth. Nothing will stay down.

8 treatments to go. Help me Lord.
Posted By: Gary Re: Vomiting everything - 08-16-2009 02:42 AM
If you are constipated, and narcotics will do that, then homeostasis can grind to a halt and you will throw up everything. Are you getting chemo? If so that would intensify it a lot. If you are PEG feeding go slow. Many have complained of nausea by feeding too fast.

I threw up a lot during the latter part and post Tx so it's pretty common but you have to watch out for dehydration or you will end up back in the ER. Vomiting causes a lot of fluid loss.

You may want a consult with your nutritionist as well.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Vomiting everything - 08-16-2009 03:29 PM
I'm not sure when you say stopped up whether you mean the Big C type or the Peg is malfunctioning?

I didn't have a Peg and because of that I didn't drink enough calories or water in the latter days of my Tx and I became dehydrated and with taking various pain meds all that lead to the Big C. So the Big C can cause nausea; the pain meds can cause nausea; the radiation can cause nausea and my chemo causes nausea all of which doomed me to severe nausea which like a snow ball rolling down a hill made me get less calories and less water which continued my dehydration which lead to ..... you get the picture. Things that helped me were getting some IV fluids, Carnation Instant Breakfast VHC, the end of my radiation and chemo and stopping all my pain meds.
Posted By: HarleyKenny Re: Vomiting everything - 08-16-2009 08:52 PM
Yes David, the Big C. I do have a PEG as well. So, I have laid off the pain meds today a lot. Pain is better than vomiting. My wife walked me around Walmart this morning too.

Mobility equals motility.

Starting to hold some fluids down.
Posted By: billy.calcutt Re: Vomiting everything - 08-18-2009 04:47 PM
They told me to take all of these different meds to help with the big C and none helped. Then a nurse told me to try the old milk of magnesia and it worked like a charm.
Just a thought.
Posted By: ESikon Re: Vomiting everything - 08-18-2009 05:45 PM
hope you get some relief soon!
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Vomiting everything - 08-18-2009 09:26 PM
I had a big bout with the Big C and I think that was the worst pain I felt the entire Tx. My wife bought me some OTC enima product and that was the only thing that helped sometimes.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum