Posted By: stumble CPAP with radiation - 08-06-2009 12:56 AM
My husband is suppose to use a CPAP machine in order to have continuous breathing while he sleeps. However, now in his 3rd week of radiation he says he cannot tolerate the CPAP mask. Has anyone else had any success using the CPAP while being treated with radiation?
Posted By: davidcpa Re: CPAP with radiation - 08-06-2009 03:51 PM
Never heard of a CRAP machine. We all had to wear a mask but again I've never heard of it with the word CRAP other than the whole Tx being described as CRAP!
Posted By: stumble Re: CPAP with radiation - 08-06-2009 05:20 PM
Googe CPAP
Posted By: JeffL Re: CPAP with radiation - 08-06-2009 05:37 PM
I have a CPAP, and definitely could not use it during radiation, even though my side effects from radiation were not that severe. The CPAP, even with the humidifier, dries the nose and mouth out severely, which I found intolerable.

Today, I use my CPAP about half the time, due to the drying issues. Before I use it, I make sure the humidifier is working, and that I moisturize my nose and mouth well.

One positive note -- after completing the treatment and having the tumor eradicated, I snore less, even without the CPAP (according to my spouse). So there is hope.

Best of luck to both of you!!
Posted By: EzJim Re: CPAP with radiation - 08-06-2009 06:56 PM
CPAP is a new one to me. THey had me with lung cancer at our Dr Jeff, but he never mentioned anything to help with breathing.
Posted By: Ray in Texas Re: CPAP with radiation - 08-06-2009 07:47 PM
I was on a CPAP w/out a humidifier, but added one before treatment and found it tolerable. I used the CPAP every night. I had to. My own snoring would wake me up! I did wake up with a drier mouth than usual. After treatment I got a little esophogaitis that may have been caused by the dryness. That�s gone now.

To JeffL, I think my snoring may be alleviated somewhat too. I haven�t tried to sleep without the machine yet, but I do feel more refreshed than I used to when I wake up. Maybe the BOT tumor back there had something to do with my snoring.

A suggestion I have is to look into a TAP (Thornton Adjustable Positioner) . They supposedly work pretty good. It is like a pair of those invisiliners used for braces except the bottom one attaches to the top one and you turn a small screw that pulls your jaw forward. This leave a larger �hole� for air to pass through at the back or your throat.

I don�t know how this would work with someone who has had their teeth removed, but it might be worth checking out it.

NOTE: the TAP is not the only device available, but the one most dentists, including mine, are pushing. With a little googling you will find a lot of people trying to get into this market because it appears to be working.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: CPAP with radiation - 08-06-2009 09:07 PM
OK I Google'd CRAP and of course you know what I got. Then I did CRAP machine and I got a web site about sleep disorders and saw some pictures of the machines and masks but I still don't know what CRAP stands for or what the heck those machines are supposed to do? And that mask!!! How can one sleep with that thing on?
Posted By: mhupe Re: CPAP with radiation - 08-06-2009 11:12 PM
David, you are supposed to google cPap not cRap. I believe it stands for Continous Postive Air Pressure.
Posted By: Gabe Re: CPAP with radiation - 08-06-2009 11:17 PM
David it is CPAP as CRAP is something entirely different sick

Here is some information;

How is OSA Treated? (Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA))

The most common treatment of OSA is CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) therapy, pronounced �see-pap�. It is effective in almost all cases. CPAP provides light air pressure to hold the airway open and, as a result, allows uninterrupted sleep throughout the night. Normally the air is delivered through a small mask worn over the nose during sleep. There are many different types of masks, and finding the most comfortable one is very important.

Whilst the CPAP system may look a bit daunting, you will find that using it has minimal effect on anything but your sleeping. Putting on your CPAP will quickly become part of your regular routine. Please look at the equipment available for all the different options.
CPAP therapy has been successfully used, since discovery in 1980, to treat patients with sleep apnea.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: CPAP with radiation - 08-07-2009 01:59 PM
Oopppps, my bad!!!
Posted By: RPCV Re: CPAP with radiation - 08-08-2009 09:04 AM
David,

I thought you were making a joke when you said you googled CRAP! Good one! laugh
Posted By: EzJim Re: CPAP with radiation - 08-08-2009 02:02 PM
I think David didn't have his specs on!!! LOL
Posted By: mhupe Re: CPAP with radiation - 08-08-2009 02:25 PM
David,

Do you need new specs AND a new calculator? It's tough getting old. :-)

Posted By: davidcpa Re: CPAP with radiation - 08-08-2009 06:25 PM
You know it's funny but I've only made 2 mistakes in my whole life and they both happen to be while on this site, after my cancer Tx with way to much chemo and while Margaret was staring over my shoulder so I'm gonna blame Margaret for both.
Posted By: EzJim Re: CPAP with radiation - 08-08-2009 07:08 PM
Geez David, What is the feeling when you amke a mistake so that I will recognise ti if it should happen?? LOL
Posted By: EzJim Re: CPAP with radiation - 08-08-2009 07:08 PM
Yes I did spell recognize wrong. LOL
Posted By: davidcpa Re: CPAP with radiation - 08-08-2009 09:41 PM
Hey I didn't even know I had cancer until it was a Stage IV so I'm the wrong person to ask about recognizing anything. lol
Posted By: Gabe Re: CPAP with radiation - 08-08-2009 09:46 PM
Regognise is the right spelling for here. I wish the spell checker would stop trying to change it to the US format. Feel free to comment Liz!!
Same with organise etc etc etc eek
Posted By: Jeanna F Re: CPAP with radiation - 08-22-2009 09:24 AM
A bit late. but LOL!!!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum