Posted By: Watt Finished the first 33 radiations and three chemos! - 07-29-2009 08:48 PM
Hi everybody,

This is Jeff's wife reporting back. Jeff finally finished all 33 radiations and three chemos. The chemo seemed to be the really hard part for him. He is still out of it 6 days after chemo but starting show some life today. He has been able to swallow fine up to this week. He has many mouth sores and pretty heavy pain meds. The nausea even with meds is bad and so during each chemo he loses 5 lbs or more but in between chemo treaments he was able to put the weight back on. So he is down 20 lbs from the start. He has a PEG which has been so great for hydrating him all night. We just keep the liquids flowing. Mostly Gatorade at night. He can't tolerate too many of the high calorie drinks. So now... since he did so well they want him to do three more Cisplain chemos one month apart. So treatment isn't over but at least the radiation is done! Can't say we are looking forward to the Cisplatin but we will do whatever it takes to get rid of the cancer. So we are kind of celebrating part one finished..or least I am. He is to sick still to stay awake long enough to be happy about being done with radiation. laugh
That's great.

Re your comment on more chemos....sometimes I don't think they are happy unless they really punish us. lol
David,

Have you heard of others getting an extra 3 chemos after the standard treatment? And were they cisplatin? Cisplatin seems so toxic and I worry about the side effects of three more chemos with that drug. Just wondering. Of course he will have his hearing tested and the appropriate blood tests.
Vanessa
Just what do you mean by 3 chemos? Didn't they give him chemo once a week during rads? Every Tuesday was my chemo day and rads daily.
Vanessa,

Not sure I understand what your Signature means...Chemo (Cisplatin) 2 rounds 3x's every three weeks.

I had 3 bags of Cisplatin, 1 every 3 weeks. Some have gotten a smaller bag each week for 6 weeks so which did Jeff get?
Jeff got 3 bags of Cisplatin every 3 weeks with radiation. Now he will get 3 more bags of Cisplatin a month a part and no radiation.
No I haven't heard of anyone getting that Tx of Cisplatin.
I haven't heard of anyone getting that tX either. I will follow through with more questions to the doctor. Thanks David.

Vanessa
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum