Posted By: Courtney Allen Topical med for mouth ulcers? - 07-24-2009 08:06 PM
My sister has just completed her 15th of 30 rad treatments. She is developing a few ulcers on the tongue and mouth. We have the mouth rinses that numb the pain, but i was wondering if there is a topical gel or something for specific spot treatments. I was thinking Ambasol or Orajel but thought you guys might have some better ideas before I go by everything at CVS. Any thoughts?
Posted By: Geri Re: Topical med for mouth ulcers? - 07-24-2009 09:12 PM
Hi,
Richard used everything we could get our hands on to ease the mouth sores. What worked well is a product called ORABASE by Colgate. I think it's like Oragel, but better. This was recommended to us by an RO that had used the product and was very pleased with the results. Richard said that it stings and in his words "makes your eardrums vibrate" at first, but then numbs and you can get some relief for awhile. We would take a tube with us to radiation treatments to help numb the sores before and after. The mouth piece that you have to wear was so irritating that the numbing was a welcome relief, if only for an hour. Hope this helps... Geri
Posted By: mgmichael Re: Topical med for mouth ulcers? - 07-24-2009 09:39 PM
Orajel has worked best for John. We had high hopes for viscous lidocaine but that did nothing at all!
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: Topical med for mouth ulcers? - 07-25-2009 12:39 AM
Hi Courtney,

Orabase forms a seal over the sore where Orajel just numbs it for 5 minutes. Orabase does work pretty good...funny I never thought about using that.

That's a shame about the viscous lidocaine, that helped me. I found it helpful if I put it on my finger and rubbed it right on my tongue. I'm sure you tried this but if not, give it a whirl. I really hope something works for your sister. I know how FRUSTRATING that pain can be. I cringe just thinking about it.

It warms my heart to see sisters. My older sister has been so amazing, I could not get through this without her. I'm sure your sister feels the same way.
Posted By: SandySt. Re: Topical med for mouth ulcers? - 07-25-2009 01:50 AM
Courtney Allen:
Remind your sister to rise frequently with saltwater. This really helped them to heal, but it does take awhile.

Sandy
Posted By: wilckdds Re: Topical med for mouth ulcers? - 07-26-2009 01:54 PM
Orabase comes with or without benzocaine, a topical anesthetic.

Make sure it is with the topical.

Jerry
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum