Posted By: WendyG fatigue. - 07-18-2009 01:51 AM
Hi everyone, just need a bit of advise. Steve is 5 days into a 35 dose radiation. He also had cisplatin 4 days ago. So far he's been going really well but last night and today he is extremely tired. He slept for almost 15 hours last night and is now back in bed, where he's been for 2 hours already. Is this normal? I know fatigue is a side effect but should he be this tired, this early? Any helpful advise would be greatly appreciated.

Posted By: Cookey Re: fatigue. - 07-18-2009 07:18 AM
only 15 wendy?rob was clocking a steady 18 ,and that was without chemo.Sleep is natures healer sweetie so just take the chance to rest up your self.
love liz
Posted By: Dianeox Re: fatigue. - 07-18-2009 07:35 AM
Sleeping is healing. And if he's sleeping that means his pain is controlled and that is a good thing!
Posted By: WendyG Re: fatigue. - 07-18-2009 10:55 AM
Thanks once again. You guys are always there when I'm unsure of things and for that I am so grateful. Steve was doing much better tonight, mostly because of the sleep. I think I just didn't expect big sleeps like that so early into treatment. Although it is nice to see him finally sleeping after such a long time with not much sleep.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: fatigue. - 07-18-2009 11:05 AM
Wendy,

This Tx is brutal for the majority and for some it's even more brutal. His body is under attack from both the cancer and his Tx. I said many many times during my Tx that I didn't fear the cancer, the Tx was what I feared would kill me. Each of us can react differently but being tired and weak, etc is completely normal. Don't forget what this may be doing to his mental side as I'm sure it's working in overdrive 24/7 right now.
Posted By: WendyG Re: fatigue. - 07-18-2009 11:45 AM
Thanks David. I can't begin to even imagine how he and you must have felt. I know Steve really can't explain it to me and all I can do is be patient for him and help as much as I can. I know he's starting to feel better tonight but we both know we are only at the beginning and have a long bumpy road ahead. But we'll get through it and come out the other side ok. He's been ok up until late yesterday and his chemo was 3 days ago but i think I naively thought he was through the worst of the first round of chemo because so many days had passed with him being ok. At least now I will know for next time. So much to learn isn't there?
Posted By: EzJim Re: fatigue. - 07-18-2009 03:18 PM
I still am tired all day and have to force things to keep me moving. Ths after at least 1 1/2 years maybe longer. I feel for him as do all of us in the forums. Don't forget most of the meds they give us can make one tired too. Of the nine I take in the morning, 7 of them have warnings LOL . Must be my reason for being tired all day. Same thing at nite but some are stronger.
Posted By: debandbill Re: fatigue. - 07-18-2009 04:15 PM
Wendy,

I will say from experience that you do need to make sure he is not running a fever. You probably have guidelines from your MO/chemo facility about what constitutes a fever that is concerning. I wouldn't think that it is too much of a worry this early in the game but do be aware that Steve is susceptible to illness the more chemo he has.

I say all this because Bill started being very sleepy about 5 weeks into treatment and could not stay awake. When I finally checked his temp, he was over 101 and had to be hospitalized for an unknown infection and neutropenia (low blood count.)

This is just for your information because even as a very involved caregiver, this one slipped up on me.

Deb
Posted By: billy.calcutt Re: fatigue. - 07-20-2009 01:38 AM
I am in the same boat with Jim. I am tired when I go to bed and tired when I get up. I stayed tired and I talked with my family doc about it and she said it would take more than 2 years for my body to bounce back completely.

As far as him being in the bed 15 hours a day I would say hes doing very well not to be inthe bed longer. I especially remember when I had a chem treatment. I would sleep for 4 days straight. Look for the sleep time to get longer before it gets shorter. As has been already stated, the best time to heal is when the body sleeps.

Billy
Posted By: Cookey Re: fatigue. - 07-20-2009 05:40 AM
Just a word of caution wendy Rob always seemed a bit perkier by sunday evenings and of course when Monday comes you start all over again.

liz
Posted By: davidcpa Re: fatigue. - 07-20-2009 02:36 PM
Billy,

Have they checked your TSH or thyroid levels? Mine crapped out due to the rad and one of my symptoms was felling tired all the time.

Posted By: billy.calcutt Re: fatigue. - 07-20-2009 07:03 PM
Yes they have. I remember you posting here about your thyroid and thats the first thing I always ask them about. My family doc said she thinks I am oversleeping and has told me 9 hours sleep a day max! I have followed her advice for about 3 or 4 weeks now and am feeling much better.

Thanks David,
Billy
Posted By: davidcpa Re: fatigue. - 07-20-2009 11:40 PM
With 7 cats, 2 70 lb dogs and a rabbit, I can only wish for 9 hours sleep in one night.
Posted By: JIM BEERS Re: fatigue. - 07-21-2009 03:56 PM
7 cats???? lol and you threw a thumper in the mix? Well I am in the middle of my 3rd week and am about to go play tennis with my daughter. I have taken the opposite approach (of course) I have been staying extremely active but at the same time getting a good solid 8-9 hours of good sleep everynight! I did however as of yesterday concede to eating only soft foods from here on out. I got grilled chicken at longhorn lastnight and it beat my ass!! I got thru half of it and could barely talk my tongue hurt sooooo bad! I went home sucked down a VHC, popped a perk and went to bed! lol woke up feeling much better, however I am beginning to get a little nausious in the mornings....not liking that. Laying around all day is easy for me to do but makes me feel terrible and more tired, not to mention all I do is think about what is about to come and what I have already been through which of course does not help my morale at all. Guess its different for everyone, until I cant physically do it anymore I am going to stay as active as possible.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: fatigue. - 07-21-2009 04:53 PM
Jim,

This may be as bad as it gets so don't anticipate what may never come, just be prepared if it does get worse. Hey look at it this way, worse probable case you only have a mere 7 more weeks and then your recovery period will start and the worst will be over.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: fatigue. - 07-22-2009 01:42 AM
Jim, when dining out try ordering chocolate milk as your beverage. If you eat something that burns your mouth, the chocolate milk will soothe the burn. It is also very high in calories which is always a big plus smile
Posted By: EzJim Re: fatigue. - 07-23-2009 12:30 AM
When you eat with this Jim Christine,, bring steak money for a nice filet. And ,milk. LOL
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum