Posted By: ESikon Radiation - 07-14-2009 02:58 AM
I just had surgery and will start radiation soon. If I remember right they said rad will start approx 6 weeks after surgery, is this too early? Just wanted to get your opinions, I want to heal properly but at the same time get this all over with. I will meet with drs next week to get more of a timeframe. Thanks!
Posted By: walknlite Re: Radiation - 07-14-2009 03:00 AM
I did not have to go through radiation. I know others have and will be able to answer your questions. I can not believe you are posting so soon after your surgery. How are you feeling?
Posted By: margaret_in_ma Re: Radiation - 07-14-2009 03:13 AM
I started radiation six weeks after surgery and I was more than ready to start by then. If I recall, the docs were shooting for 4 - 6 weeks out, but scheduling pushed it out to the full six weeks.

- Margaret
Posted By: ESikon Re: Radiation - 07-14-2009 03:58 AM
I'm doing as good as can be expected. I;m having my husband work on uploading the pics from my hospital stay. I tend to get on the computer when I am getting my feedings, since its a long process. For some reason, I can only do 1.5 cans and it takes about 1.5hrs!!LOL My stomach gets full and uncomfortable, I was told it could take some time to adjust. I have pain but the Lortab takes care of it, and I try to only take it twice per day before I do my therapy exercises. I've had a ton of support to help me recover, so I think that in itself has done a ton in helping me heal!
Posted By: EzJim Re: Radiation - 07-14-2009 10:26 AM
I had rads and chemo after my surgery. and after the removal of my Ivorys' LOl. Mine was in preperation of Rad seed implants into my tongue tho.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Radiation - 07-14-2009 12:59 PM
1.5 cans of what? Are you being fed thru a Peg?

I know you are glad the surgery is finally over and I'm sure your doctors will not start the rad until you are healed enough.

Eat Eat Eat as much as you can as soon as you can. If you have the Peg already I'm sure you will keep it during and post rad but swallow as often as you can to keep those muscles in "shape".
Posted By: ESikon Re: Radiation - 07-14-2009 07:49 PM
David - I get 1.5 cans of Fibersource HN through my PEG tube. I'm not eating all of it, suppose to be 6 cans a day and all I can get in is 4.5 cans along with a scoop of extra protein supplement. I go for my barium swallow study tomorrow, so hopefully I can get the green light to start eating/drinking stuff. Right now I just want cold water!!!
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Radiation - 07-14-2009 10:25 PM
Good luck!!!
Posted By: EricS Re: Radiation - 07-15-2009 07:06 PM
Yes Elizabeth, I begged for water during the hospital visit myself. I had my chemo/rads before my surgery so no clue about that dear.

Good luck

Be Well

Eric
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum