Posted By: wfc 7 weeks of Rad down - one week to go - 06-19-2009 02:17 PM
Just to let everyone know, ONE WEEK TO GO!
My neck is SO red and sore, my mouth has lots of sores, my throat hurts and I am more and more tired than last week, BUT other than that I am great! LOL
I have one week of rad left and then I don't know what is next? Today is my last day of work. I plan to go back no later than the last week in July. My Drs tell me I won't need that long. I hope they are right. I am still eating/drinking a total of 1800-2000 calories a day and I have lost 27 pounds so far. I am eating mainly eggs, noodles and Carnation Instant Breakfast, which I doctor up to add more calories.
Thanks to all who have supported me during this journey. Your help, stories and advice make the trip somewhat easier.
Good luck to all going through this and God bless you also.
Talk to you all soon!
Posted By: Eileen Re: 7 weeks of Rad down - one week to go - 06-19-2009 06:00 PM
Ask your RO for a script for BIAFINE cream. It will clear up the red neck and help prevent further damage. It cannot be used on open wounds. I did go back to my desk job 3 weeks after radiation and it was a bit too soon. I found it very tiring. I too had no peg or chemo and lived on Ensure Plus once swallowing became difficult.

Take care,
Eileen
Posted By: davidcpa Re: 7 weeks of Rad down - one week to go - 06-19-2009 08:04 PM
wfc,

Only a little while longer in that tunnel so hang in there. Sounds like you are perfectly normal, maybe even better than some, me for one and do try to cram more calories down. Target 3000 cals per day. That's only 6 cans of the VHC!!
Posted By: ChristineB Re: 7 weeks of Rad down - one week to go - 06-21-2009 03:54 AM
Gosh, I must be blind. I couldnt find your post so I sent you an IM. Was concerned cuz I know you are now at the roughest part. Take it day by day, if necessary hour by hour. Very soon, this will be finished then you can rest and heal. Keep up the good work.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: 7 weeks of Rad down - one week to go - 06-21-2009 03:59 AM
Bill, I have a very high calorie recipie which you might be able to taste alittle bit. It will push your calories up which will help. This shake isnt a substitute for the carnation drinks, just add it to your diet. Its for a chocolate-peanut butter milk shake. Since Im not one to measure ingredients, I can only guess its over 1500 calories in it.

3 cups chocolate ice cream
1/2 cup peanutbutter
2 or 3 cups whole milk
1 scoop carnation instant breakfast powder
1/3 cup chocolate syrup

Posted By: mgmichael Re: 7 weeks of Rad down - one week to go - 06-22-2009 03:52 AM
Glad to see your message here, wfc!
Eileen, I'm going to look up that Biofene cream; John's neck is getting pretty cooked looking (17 rad treatments so far).
Posted By: Cookey Re: 7 weeks of Rad down - one week to go - 06-22-2009 04:09 AM
I used Aqueous cream for rob.Just dont forget not to use before rads as it can cook you even worse.

love liz
Posted By: Eileen Re: 7 weeks of Rad down - one week to go - 06-22-2009 05:16 PM
Its Biafine not Biofine, A not O. And Liz is correct. NEVER put anything on you neck prior to radiation.

Take care,
Eileen
Posted By: EricS Re: 7 weeks of Rad down - one week to go - 06-22-2009 10:03 PM
Hey man, almost there!!! Good for you and your attitude seems to be as good as ever, keep it up!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum