Posted By: MicheleM Radiation - 05-13-2009 11:43 PM
I will be starting radiation soon and was wondering if everyone gets the think mucus and do I ask the doctor to put in a feeding tube? I'm very nervous and was wondering if someone could give me some answers as to what will happen? thanks, Michele
Posted By: EzJim Re: Radiation - 05-14-2009 01:36 AM
Michelle, you will dry out around the mouth in and out and on your chin and maybe the neck. Get some Aquaphor Jell , it's in a tube ane maybe your Dr will give you some samples asnd there is Eucerin too . I used the Aquaphor a few times a day and within 2 weeks or less the dryness was gone. My skin is flaking off right now in those areas, but not very bad, It's has the appearance of dandruff. As for the feeding tube, I never had one because I didn't ant it then, but sure wish I had had one now. Good luck and it won't be as bad as you think. The mucus can be tolerated but it sure is bothersome at times.
Posted By: mhupe Re: Radiation - 05-14-2009 02:14 AM
Michelle,

Are you getting chemo and radiation or just chemo? Everyone is different, but for most people the first couple of weeks are not so bad. For my husband, the hardest part in the beginning was getting used to the mask. Some people take anti anxiety meds for that.

A peg is a really great idea. You never know how much the RT will impact you. My husband did not have one and it was hard to keep him hydrated towards the end of treatment. It was also very hard for him to take his medications.

When does your radiation start? Have you been advised to "bulk" up before you start?

My husband did have that thick mucous. I vaguely remembering the medical explanation. That came towards the end of treatment as well and lasted a few weeks post treatment.

A humidifier in the bedroom helped w/ dry mouth and a portable suction machine was helpful with the thick mucous.
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: Radiation - 05-14-2009 10:57 AM
Michele

Easy answer; YES . Talk to your doctor about a feeding tube. I was one of the macho alpha males who pooh-pahed the PEG as being for sick or weak people without the true grit needed to tough it out. Ironically I am typing this hooked up to a feeding bag dripping Jevity 1.5 into my PEG. Even so, I lost over 20% of my body weight and struggled with Ensure Plus. MY Insurance covers the cost of the Jevity but I had to pay for the Ensure myself so not getting the PEG ended up costing me money too.
Radiation will cause mucous, dry mouth and difficulty swallowing. How much varies with each individual and the radiation field and dosage. EAT EAT EAT now whatever you love and don't worry about calories. finally get a complete dental exam preferably from a prothodontist who specializes in treating cancer and radiation patients as the radiation will do a number on your jaw, the roots and nerves of your teeth and mouth in general. Most of us have had flouride trays made by our dentists/prothodontists for our teeth to use during radiation treatment and for the rest of our lives
Do NOT neglect this dental issue.
Good luck
Charm
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Radiation - 05-14-2009 01:40 PM
I don't understand your time line?

Are these Aprils a year apart?
Posted By: Eileen Re: Radiation - 05-14-2009 05:02 PM
David,
I think those April's are 4 years apart as in 2005 and 2009.

Eileen
Posted By: Cecilia Re: Radiation - 05-14-2009 08:09 PM
Hi Michele,
My Boyfriend got the thick mucous, then dryness and difficulty (impossibility) swallowing. As above the PEG is a good idea if as soon as it becomes to painful to swallow, don't wait and get the PEG, it takes the pressure and pain out of eating.
You also get very burnt skin on the outside of the neck, like the most terrible sunburn. Martin was prescribed Aqueous cream. I used to smother him in it 3 times a day and put a very light cloth provided by the hospital so that clothes didn't rub. His skin on the neck smelt quite bad, but the skin never wept or bled. i think it's because I was a bit over zealous with the moisturising cream but it worked. One day in the shower martin gently rubbed his neck and all of the smelly old skin fell off to reveal nice new skin.
KEEP MOISTURISED WATERED AND FED.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Radiation - 05-14-2009 09:34 PM
Geez and I'm a numbers person. Must be the side effects of tax season.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Radiation - 05-14-2009 09:39 PM
Michele,

As the damage from the radiation takes it's toll, the first thing that we notice is the thick saliva resulting from damage to the thin saliva production which use to mix with the thick stuff. That usually lasts a few weeks before the thick saliva stops being produced and that's what we call Dry Mouth. DM can take years to fully recover.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum