Posted By: Jenka Top layer of the flap sloughing off? - 05-08-2009 02:50 AM
Is it normal? I don't think it hurts, just looks like the top layer of skin is well-cooked and is starting to peel off at the front of the tongue. Anyone else? Will it all come off in one piece?

There seems to be no end to how much more gross I'm going to get. But as long as it's normal...
Posted By: Pete D Re: Top layer of the flap sloughing off? - 05-08-2009 04:54 AM
I had some of my first flap come off, but with my second flap, it was actually dying (from lack of good circulation in the leg tissue) -- I couldn't smell it, but the nurses did. Might have someone do the smell test.

They removed the dead/dying tissue with the silver nitrate cauterizing sticks, which didn't hurt because the nerves weren't connected.
Posted By: Jenka Re: Top layer of the flap sloughing off? - 05-08-2009 08:17 PM
I asked the RO on Mon, he just waved it off. But your reply, Pete, made me really worried. I'm seeing RO's NP on Monday, and she has much better communications skills than the RO, so hopefully she'll listen to me.
Posted By: Pete D Re: Top layer of the flap sloughing off? - 05-08-2009 10:16 PM
Didn't want to worry you -- It's likely the natural skin change, but better to be safe.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum