Posted By: wfc Dry Mouth - 05-06-2009 03:43 PM
I have only had three Rad treatments and my mouth is dry already. Has that happened to anyone else? I am also taking a anti-nausea pill and receiving two daily shots of Ethyol.
Just wondering?

Bill C
Posted By: EzJim Re: Dry Mouth - 05-06-2009 06:48 PM
Bill, I had the dry mouth and part of it s the surgery when you lose your salivary glands. I will have dry mouth forever unless they come up with a way to restore it. I also lost my taste buds and have gotten used to tasting the 1st bite of food. After the 1st bite they all taste like whatever you can imagine, LOL Maybe if you don't need oral surgery, you will have the saliva return like some have had happen in the forums. Good luck with it and may yu be blessed like the rest.
Posted By: William1949 Re: Dry Mouth - 05-06-2009 07:21 PM
Bill, sounds early to be experiencing dry mouth but everyone is a bit different on the effects of radiation and could be the pill you mentioned. Like EzJim, I wish you the best over the next several weeks.
Posted By: Cecilia Re: Dry Mouth - 05-08-2009 07:55 PM
Hi wfc,
just asked Martin,for him he started getting dry after 3 weeks, but he did notice that his painkillers made him really dry. Towards the end and even sometimes now on dry days his tongue feels like a dried up piece of moss, I know because he once asked me to touch his tongue.
All I can advise is keep a little bottle of water with you at all times (Martin fits it in my hand bag when we go out), and sip a little but often. Don't drink too much in big gulps, because then as martin learnt you feel to full of water to eat and it sometimes makes you feel nauseus, and the slosh sloshing in the belly is unpleasant.
Anyway, good luck.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum