Posted By: Philly Anyone else experience memory loss w/ IMRT? - 04-29-2009 07:14 AM
Hello again everyone smile

Just a quick question for those who have gone through the IMRT Radaiton therapy - did any of you experience memory loss (either short term or long term memory loss).

David seems to be experiencing some memory loss, and was told it's somewhat normal - but the memory should return after treatment is complete.

Just wondering if anyone else experienced this, and how long it took for your memory to return.

Thanks!

-Philly
It has happened to me too. My mind is a little fuzzy with details sometimes.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Anyone else experience memory loss w/ IMRT? - 04-29-2009 11:32 AM
Philly, I have memory loss of no less than 9 months of my life. I am told things that I should remember but how do you remember a blank space and what was in it? I have asked my daughter, my Pastor,My Drs and BarbT and I get the same answer from all of them., Maybe you don't want to know Jim. I hear I was mean and then I hear I was funny. LOL I hope someday. AS for now, like most I go to the kitchen to get something and forget what I went for.
I think my memory has suffered due to the Tx but I assumed it was from the chemo. What we use to say around here to explain that feeling was "chemo brain". I "remember" (play on words) that I felt my memory shaky towards the end of Tx and it just doesn't feel as strong as it once was and I'm now 2 1/2 years post Tx. Sure my age may contribute to it but I just feel it started during Tx.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Anyone else experience memory loss w/ IMRT? - 04-29-2009 01:48 PM
David, we sure agree on that . I was fine until treatment began . The bad part is it erased times ago not present.
Posted By: EricS Re: Anyone else experience memory loss w/ IMRT? - 04-30-2009 03:41 AM
My memory is not what it once was that's for sure. I always attributed it to the chemo though. While in tx the cocktail of drugs I was on made me very "spotty" memory wise. Now I definetly have recall issues and I'm a year out of tx.

I have not gone through radiation, but have completed 3 cycles of chemo therapy. And I must say that at times I can't seem to remember names and/or words. While I was doing chemo, my memory seemed to be even foggier.

I know this doesn't answer you question, but may be of help to a new patent.

Sandy S.
I had IMRT and several years later I had my memory checked w/a professional, since I thought I was not very good at remembering things. The tests indicated I was in expected range of memory function for a person my age (57). So age is a factor and frankly my lifestyle didn't help either, so I have to believe that the IMRT had minimal effects - Hope this helps
Posted By: EzJim Re: Anyone else experience memory loss w/ IMRT? - 04-30-2009 11:24 AM
I just wish parts of my memory would return. I am sure I have things stored in that blank bank that would be nice to know again. This was the period before implants an teeth removal. Ther is a lot of Holidays I know nothing about including Thanksgiving and Christmas fo 2008 and up thru New Years of 2009. THis loss begins somewhere in the summer of 2008. I do faintly remember going to our pumpkin festival but not very much of it at all. Like I said before.. I am Alive Tho and can still make a smile on someones face or can make someone laugh.
My husband has some difficulty with memory and organization since his treatment. It's not so much that he forgets people, things, etc. but he misplaces things more often and has more difficulty with organization.
Posted By: Eileen Re: Anyone else experience memory loss w/ IMRT? - 05-07-2009 06:01 PM
I had XRT, no chemo and experienced short term memory problems like being unable to retain a 7 digit phone number from the book to the dial. I dial the first three and then had to look back for the last 4. Annoying for someone who had the memory of an elephant. RO still says radiation does not cause memory loss but I'm not so certain. Problem magically went away 7 years after radiation.

Take care,
Eileen
I believe it not only affects the normal type of memory we think about, like names and numbers but I also experienced a "memory loss" when walking down a flight of stairs in my house as sometimes I felt as if I was about to miss a step. Normally our memory helps us when walking up or down stairs as we are conditioned to take exact steps since all risers are build to the same code for height.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Anyone else experience memory loss w/ IMRT? - 05-08-2009 01:10 AM
David I still have that problem with steps. I'm glad you made this post because it encourages me that I am normal . LOL I was putting mulch around rose bushes I planted yesterday and that feeling ht me again . It can be strange at times , but no stranger than me. LOL
Posted By: Pete D Re: Anyone else experience memory loss w/ IMRT? - 05-08-2009 04:56 AM
Read an article that said as we get older, we should NOT be looking down at the steps because it may cause us to lose balance.
Pete, that may be true for "normal" old people but when that feeling hits me (like I'm going to miss a step) I have to look down or I will go down.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Anyone else experience memory loss w/ IMRT? - 05-08-2009 05:09 PM
JUst what is consideed getting old?? I'm not getrting old yet and I am 73 . THey mustg have meanty when we hit 100 we better start being careful and make sure we don't get any female pregnant. LOL
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum