Posted By: RichieS Aftermath - 04-23-2009 09:53 PM
I am home from the hospital after my last surgery. They were able to save the left side of my tongue and much of the back part. My new jaw moves pretty well but I can't open my mouth very wide yet. I can walk and talk some after 2 weeks and seem to be getting stronger each day. I have some questions and if anyone has the answers it would be appreciated. Will I be able to use my tongue, will it move? Can some people swallow well after this surgery? Is normal eating and talking possible?

Richard S
Posted By: Pandora99 Re: Aftermath - 04-24-2009 08:06 AM
Welcome back! Good to hear you are improving, albeit slowly. I don't have experience with brachytherapy but there are many on the board who do and I'm sure they will advise you. Just wanted to say it was good to hear from you.

donna
Posted By: RichieS Re: Aftermath - 04-25-2009 06:19 AM
Hi Donna. Thanks, it's good to be home. I had my brachytherapy in May 2008 (2nd time with cancer) and didn't have too much trouble with it. This latest treatment (April 2009) is what I am unsure about. I am getting stronger each day and the walking doesn't seem like it will be a problem. The site they removed bone for a mandible is looking good. But I'm not quite sure what to expect as far as swallowing, talking and eating due to the tongue replacement with a flap and mandible replacement.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum