Posted By: traci Severe peripheral edema (swollen legs and ankles) - 04-16-2009 06:23 AM
Another new issue to deal with.....husband was receiving fluids by iv due to the fact that he quit eating. (still)...the doctors have yet to do anything about it because he was gaining weight (ie all the fluids they were pumping in him daily- i think it was 2 liter per day for 7 or 8 days. Now he has developed severe swelling from his knee down. Did an ultrasound and no blockage. The oncologist do not seem too worried about it but we are. Where should i take him next to find out whats going on. His ankles look like small tree trunks and measure close to 13 inches around. Has this happened to anyone else?

BTW he has 2 radiations left!! They resumed today even though has had deep radiations burns. You can see them at www.asilentepidemic.webs.com/photos
I tried going to that site and it won't come up at all. I sure hope you find something out for peace of mind if nothing else. I have no idea about this at all. Good luck and I hope you find out today.
I think you should be persuing an explanation from his medical oncologist as this sounds like it could be a problem caused by the chemo drugs. Has his cardiac and renal status been evaluated as it sounds like he is just retaining a lot of fluid, hence the weight gain. Is he short of breath? Insist on answers, it your right as a healthcare consumer. Good luck.
I couldn't access the blog either.
Traci, he has too much fluid in his system. He needs a diuretic prescribed to flush the fluid. His kidneys will be busy removing the excess fluid. The medications I take for my arthritis can do that to me, so I take a diuretic everyday to prevent it. Tea, coffee and beer are natural diuretics, requiring frequent trips to the Loo. I hope this helps.

It might of helped if i had posted the link correctly. sorry to all.

http://asilentepidemic.webs.com/apps/photos/

Oh man,, those poor guys, I am very lucky to have nothing that bad. Thank you angels.
Sorry to see all that you are dealing with. Nice job on the blog site, it puts a face on our disease, and some good information out in the world. A link to OCF as a source of information would be appreciated in the list that you have assembled.
OMG!! I am so sorry. I thought that I had posted the link as soon as I found you guys. Apparently I forgot but I have fixed it immediately as well as suggesting this be the first place to stop for information. Again, my apologies
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum