Posted By: johnny47 1 st radiation treatment odd smell - 05-07-2008 10:42 PM
I Had my first radiation treatment today. While taking the pictures I smelled an odd smell. Then during the actual treatment It got worse and now is stuck in my nose. Hard to describe the smell but it will not go away. Anyone else have this?
Posted By: davidcpa Re: 1 st radiation treatment odd smell - 05-07-2008 11:02 PM
During and after my first Rad I told the Rad nurse that I smelled a burning flesh type smell and she said I was bonkers. I know I smelled something but I let it go and I don't remember smelling it again.
Posted By: Robroaster Re: 1 st radiation treatment odd smell - 05-08-2008 01:50 PM
The xray that they take has a distinct (horrible) smell. I made a game of trying to hold my breath at just the right moment. It's been almost three years now, and just typing this is bringing that smell back to me...thanks for the reminder.
Rob
Posted By: johnny47 Re: 1 st radiation treatment odd smell - 05-08-2008 01:52 PM
I am glad I am not the only one who has a brain cell loose. Because that is how they acted to me as well. I felt like telling them to lay down and I would zap them 9 times and see if they smelled anything.

Thanks, I am glad I am not the only one who has thought this.

John
Posted By: davidcpa Re: 1 st radiation treatment odd smell - 05-08-2008 09:11 PM
I had one of the techs tell me (and she was my favorite) that she wouldn't get clamped down if her life depended on it. We looked at each other and I guess she thought about what she had said and that was the end of it.
Posted By: Dell1064 Re: 1 st radiation treatment odd smell - 05-10-2008 06:01 PM
Hi Johnny,

My dad noticed it too.
If it were me, I might have to try a bit of Vicks in my nose or maybe some rose oil to try to forget the smell today, or to not pick up on it during treatment.

Hoping it goes easy on you.

Posted By: JeffL Re: 1 st radiation treatment odd smell - 05-11-2008 03:34 AM
Actually I had the same thing. Every now and then, even today, I will get a whiff of that same smell, but it goes away.
Posted By: Gary Re: 1 st radiation treatment odd smell - 05-12-2008 11:24 AM
Just to balance things out I don't recall having any unusual smell sensations during Tx other then the general smell of hospital disinfectants. I had pretty radical mouth sores and mucositus as well.
Posted By: luvmyhubby Re: 1 st radiation treatment odd smell - 05-13-2008 04:05 AM
I asked my husband about this and he said he didn't notice a smell during treatment and I have noticed that he is alot more sensitive to smells since he can't taste. He didn't have bad sores - but did have (still has) the mucous.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: 1 st radiation treatment odd smell - 05-13-2008 12:35 PM
The burning smell I had only lasted my first rad Tx. After that I couldn't/didn't detect any strange odors.
Posted By: EzJim Re: 1 st radiation treatment odd smell - 05-13-2008 11:50 PM
I never had the smell during treatment, but now I seem to have a strange odor most of the time. I liked the techs that did my rads and chemo. LOL I would have liked to bring a couple home. Just Kidding David
Posted By: davidcpa Re: 1 st radiation treatment odd smell - 05-14-2008 12:24 PM
Jim,

Have you had your yearly bath since Tx ended? We may not have to get to scientific to find that smell problem. I also had some attractive babes (no offense ladies) tending to me but I was to busy staying alive to risk another form of death.
Posted By: EzJim Re: 1 st radiation treatment odd smell - 05-14-2008 10:58 PM
LOL< David, you still have it. The bath day isn't scheduled for 7 more weeks. I'm glad it's cool, there are no flys to attract. LOL
Posted By: Dragan Re: 1 st radiation treatment odd smell - 06-15-2008 03:41 PM
I remember that smell too. I asked about it, and one of my radiotherapy techs said that it wasn't uncommon for people getting radiation on the face ( my therapy mapping included the left nostril) to "smell" an unpleasant burning odor. Whether or not it was a legitimate odor, I don't know...I do know it was there, every time.
Wayne
Posted By: Simple Gifts Re: 1 st radiation treatment odd smell - 06-15-2008 11:52 PM
I remember the smell from my first radiation and thinking it was my flesh burning. I can't remember it beyond that. I do know I became VERY sensitive to smell during my treatment period. My husband's deoderant, co-worker's bad breath, and the hospital smell when I first entered the center. For the center, I put peppermint oil on my wrist and inhaled as needed (the hospital smell made me vomit more than once).
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum